To Hell w/703

hookiefree

I'm sick of trying to find it in my area. I need acoustic treatments bad and I'm thinking about going the foam by mail route, at least for the time being. I know that broadband absorption is the way to go and from my uneducation view it looks like thier bass absorbers cover a wide range of frequencies. How do they stack up to 703 as far as the frequency ranges that they cover?

Foam by mail bass absorbers
Freq NRC Overall NRC
125 Hz 1.25 1.35
250 Hz 1.26
500 Hz 1.47
1000 Hz 1.42
2000 Hz 1.24
4000 Hz 1.29

Dont believe the hype printed in those foam specs. Not sure who they use to test their product but it (IMO) has never lived up to the hype printed.

I had a room full of the crap and gave it away after I built my REAL studio using REAL products.

Try and locate some Rockwool/Mineral Wool/Thermafiber in your area.

Hit up the www.roxul.com site and call their office for a local dealer/supplier

giles117 said:
Try and locate some Rockwool/Mineral Wool/Thermafiber in your area.

Hit up the www.roxul.com site and call their office for a local dealer/supplier

That's the problem I CAN'T find any of that in my area. I tried Roxul and Owens Corning and got nowhere.

hookiefree said:
That's the problem I CAN'T find any of that in my area. I tried Roxul and Owens Corning and got nowhere.
Hilti U.S.A. has a location in Beltsville MD.Looks close to you.
They have 8 bundles of 2x4x4" thick 8lb. density rockwool in
stock.
Call this # and they will give you the address.....
1-800-879-8000

I know of a number of commercial insulation suppliers in NoVA, but I dunno if they'll sell small quantities. Also they might carry different brands than OC. PM me if you want details.

Innovations said:
But you don't want 8lb stuff...too dense.
8lb. is not so dense that it is reflective.I used it in my live room and in
parts of my control room with excellent results.
One of the things I did in certain places was to use a very long knife
and cut the wool in half thru its thickness,making it 2" thick 4lb. density.
This helped me to conservre on the wool as well as get different levels of absorbtion.

SHEPPARDB. said:
One of the things I did in certain places was to use a very long knife
and cut the wool in half thru its thickness,making it 2" thick 4lb. density.
This helped me to conservre on the wool as well as get different levels of absorbtion.

Was it dificult to cut it and keep it even?

Actually, what you ended up with would be 2" thick but still 8 lb. density - that figure is per CUBIC foot... Steve

knightfly said:
Actually, what you ended up with would be 2" thick but still 8 lb. density - that figure is per CUBIC foot... Steve
Yeah I see your point.What I should have said is that by cutting it in
half you end up wiyh less density.

And no,its not hard to cut.The longer the knife the better though.

Hooks,

> Foam by mail bass absorbers <

I recently bought some corner foam and tested it in an acoustics lab. What I measured was significantly less than what the vendor claimed.

Here's what you do: Call that company and ask them for details on their test results. Ask them what lab was used, when the tests were done, and if they'll send you a hard copy of the original lab results. Then come back here and let us know what they say.

--Ethan

4lb is your goal hook...

And shephard you may not see the result yet, but as you mix in your room you will see some subtle things in your mix that are a result of the TOO DENSE product.

Hook check to see if that place can order the 4ld for yah.

matter of fact, hook call this person here

SUSIE at Thermafiber
260-563-2111 at ext 210 or email here

syocum@thermafiber.com

She is the thermafiber rep for your area. She can help you locate a dealer.

It was trhough thermafiber I found my roxul dealer cuz the thermafiber dealer only had 2" product and his truck was 2 weeks out so he referred me to my roxul dealer cuz he supplied him with app specific thermafiber so you can find this stuff.

SPI which was mentioned here just shipped me 6 panels of 2x4 2" 703 - $.98 sq ft and $16 shipping. Got it in 2 days in Richmond VA from the Greensboro location. i think it is spi-co.com Find the closest retail store and give them a call. Very helpful!

I'm not sure which of you gave me the lead but I ended up with a place an hour from me that has John Mansville 2", 4lb dens in 64 sq ft bundles for $0.42 a sq ft. Can that be right? $27 for 8 2" sheets?

They also have 2", 8lb dens that I'd double up and use for bass but I have a question. In creating a reflection free zone would the 8lb stuff do any good on the walls for catching bass or is it only effective in the corner?

Thanks to all for you help.

Can you tell me the place you found? Was it sound of you? I am in Richmond, and while SPI was convienent, it wasn't nearly as inexpensive for 2" 703. They didn't have JM when I called.

adam said:
Can you tell me the place you found? Was it sound of you? I am in Richmond, and while SPI was convienent, it wasn't nearly as inexpensive for 2" 703. They didn't have JM when I called.

It's called McCormick Insulation in Owings Mills MD.
(410) 581-0040

Back