To clear the confusion ...

music4all

clearing the confusion

Sorry. To clear the confusion I have made, here's the picture. My brother has a home-theater receiver (without line level out). He connects a DVD Karaoke machine to that receiver. Once he finds out that the vocal effects on the DVD machine are not good for him, he wants to try some external effect device. He has a line mixer, an effect processor and a power amplifier.

I told him that he could damage his audio system if he would feed the already-amplified signal from the receiver into the mixer... Am I right? the reason is that he wants to plug the microphones into the mixer (which connects to the external processor) and sings along with the DVD. That's quite a setup, but he needs a line level signal converter or something ...??

I hope this is clear.

Thanks,

It's true that the amplified signal from the receiver would damage the mixer. Therefore you would want to connect the DVD Karaoke machine directly to the mixer, without amplifying the signal first, and then connect the mixer to the receiver.

Problem solved.

If he does that, he doesn't have Dobby Digital Signal for DVD movies, that can only be decoded by his Receiver! All he needs is to lower the two front speaker's signal to re-feed into an external mixer and that does the job.

Aha. That was the missing piece of information!

OK, I understand the problem. In short: You're toast. :)

Some possible options:
- Making do with the DVD-unit. The effects can't be THAT bad, can they? It's only karaoke...
- Putting the mike through effects first, and then in through the DVD unit, with effects turned off. If it has a line-in as well as a mic in, this would surely cut it.

There's something rotten in Receiverland

Are you sure that the receiver, which has DVD decoding, doesn't have a line out? It just sounds a bit strange that they left that out on a fairly advanced piece of equipment. Maybe it's just named differently. Also, perhaps most important, doesn't the DVD karaoke machine decode the signal? How do you connect the karaoke machine to the receiver, line signal? Does the receiver have a DVD player for the movies?

Maybe I'm just thick but I don't see the problem in regerbo's first suggestion. I have a hard time believing that the karaoke machine sends some coded digital signal to an external receiver that decodes it, and that the external receiver can only feed speakers. Well, I don't know the equipment you have. Could you give us the names of the karaoke machine and the receiver so we can check the manufactures' sites for information?

/Ola

Back