TNC ACM3 Modding?

Jrasia

Just wanted to create a spot for peoples opinions/recommendations for modding this ribbon mic.

I was fortunate to get a mic without any ribbon slack, so the first thing that came to mind was swapping out the transformer for a Lundahl LL2912.
Can anyone compare this to cinemag, or recommend an even higher quality transformer.

Secondly, is it worth removing the mesh on the grill. Does it actually improve the top end?

Lets hear em,

Jay

JSecondly, is it worth removing the mesh on the grill. Does it actually improve the top end?

That used to be the dish on the Nady Ribbon mic...the RSM-1? I've never done it before but I remember reading either some reviews or threads about it.

Frank

not real helpful, given your current level of research, but I removed the inner mesh and it did seem to improve the high end, and I also put in a 2912. I can't compare to cinemag or any higher end (more expensive, that is) transformers. I really like the mic now.

I also used the less expensive Edcor RMX1 and like it much better than the stock transformer - I prefer the Lundahl overall, but often like the Edcor more for distorted guitar sounds, and it's a lot cheaper than the Lundahl.

If you're shopping for transformers, you might contact Marik on the board here. I was talking to him about getting toroidal transformers for my ACM ribbons, but got off track when I moved houses and temporarily shut down my studio. His main question for me that I couldn't answer was: what thickness are the ribbons, *really* - I told him the spec was 2 microns, but he seemed to want to verify that before fabbing a transformer -- I was considering sending him a mic, but like I said, I got off track.

When I have money together, I planned on sending mine (that I retensioned myself today...surprisingly didn't tear the ribbon :D) to Michael Joly at oktavamod. He said he can do the same mod for these mics as the Nady mods listed on his site.

Thanks for the replies! Definately going to try out the screen and transformer mods, they should be easy enough for me to do.

It was interesting to read on oktavamod about the Nady ribbon, where if you use the backside of the mic, you'll achive a higher SPL. I assume this applies to the ACM3 aswell.

Back