tlm-103 with eureka presonus preamp

alevy

how is everybody doing. im back trying to continue the music after katrina.
well i have a question I have a tlm-103 with a eureka presonus preamp going into a behringer mixer into a echo mia soundcard connecting to a dell computer. i was wondering does anyone have any experience using this combination and can possibly lend some advice.

my problem is for some reason with every voice and every diffrent setting i have tried over the past six months the frequency roll offs at around 2000 and the frequency are high around 400. is this normal? is this a processor problem with my computer or is this a recording equipment issue.

Why are you running your signal through the Behringer? That can only hurt your sound. I would go straight from the Eureka to the Mia.

I don't have any helpful advice to add unfortunatly, but...

GO NEW ORLEANS!!!

Its great to see people returning to normal activity after this disaster. I myself return this week when my family is having a large holidays gathering.

Um... yeah preamps and soundcards thats what we were talking about...

Just to stay on topic are you sure that there is no eq active anywhere in the chain?

when i went straight into the echo from the preamp the volume was low and the only way i could get the volume up was by adding gain which in turn added distortion. i had to add like 30 decibels of gain just to get it up to a decent level. when i got a mixer the signal begin to sound a lot cleaner. i was thinking maybe it was a glitch in the installation disc for the soundcard but i had no way of finding out.

nope there is no eq active no compression i bypassed all of the fx i even took of the low end roll off.

It is highly unusual that you need to run things through both the Eureka and the Behringer preamps to get enough gain. Do you have any other mics that you could try? Have you tried running the Neumann directly into the Behri preamp ( :eek: ) and bypassing the Presonus? Have you tried a different cable (unlikely)? Basically, swap out different parts of your chain until you find the offender.

Also, what voices are you recording? Male/Female? Style? Although the human voice has a lot of overtones, the dominant frequencies of many voices will fall in the range you've listed (look here for frequency ranges by voice type).

1) make sure the pad is turned off
2) turn impedance to max (mic could be very unhappy low impedance)
3) check metering settings

the eureka should have absolutely no problem driving your mia directly

+1
Do what you can to get that behri pre out of the signal chain, otherwise you're defeating the point of the Neuman and Eureka. It's like drinking champaigne from a urinal.

paddyponchero said:
1) make sure the pad is turned off
2) turn impedance to max (mic could be very unhappy low impedance)
3) check metering settings

the eureka should have absolutely no problem driving your mia directly

I agree.....get that berhinger out of the signal chain!!!

try a direct box.....is there a -10/+4 output choice on the pre? The TLM103 should be plenty happy at 1k Ohms impedance......good luck

Also, make sure that there isn't a setting inside the MIA's control panel that reduces the gain at the soundcards input stage. You should be having the opposite problem. You should be constantly trying to hold gain back, and not having to find a way to boost it. Even with the pad in:)

You are doing something wrong. The Eureka has more than enough gain to drive a tlm. I have a babybottle and a Eureka and it works great. In fact my gain knob is at 1/4 volume and my Master volume is maybe halfway. Crystal clear and loud as hell. Check everything you're doing, because your doing something wrong. You should get a very good sound from the Eureka and once you get it working right you should hear how much better it sounds not going thru the behri.

And here I thought Neumann's self imploded when used with behringers in the signal chain....learn something new everyday.

o.k. thanks i think there was a problem with the installation disc for my echo mia
and maybe im missing a sound driver? im not sure. do you guys now how i can get a new installation disc mailed out? can i do that through the website? i just got my computer fixed. i was having problems adding new hardware and software. not any more!

i have taken the behringer out of my chain.lol. i also downloaded the drivers and my vocals sound better. the mids arent as high anymore and the highend is more level in comparison to the rest of the frequencies. thanks everybody for the advice.

Back