TL Audio

Astriaal

hi, i was wondering what u guys thought of the ivory (or ivory 2) series from tl audio? im particularly looking at the 5001 unit which is a quad mic pre with a valve stage after the pre amp stage. would this have a major effect on the sound or is it very different to having the valve as part of the actual preamp stage? im interested to hear ur thoughts on this line of gear because is all seems fairly reasonably priced.

I have the 4 channel Series 1 (re-branded as HHB Radius 10) and I love it! It's really made a big difference in my recordings (I was using a DBX 386 before). The tracking I've attempted with this unit as the main source have really helped me move up a level. Very usable.

The only drag is at times is the natural compression that occurs with tubes can be a bit much if you're looking for something else, but that’s only if you drive the tubes too hard – just be careful, there are options if you use the gain structure differently. Overall, a great unit! Check out:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session2.htm

to get an idea before you buy.

thanks for your opinion and thanks for the link, much appreciated. has anyone else had any experience with this gear?

Will this be your only preamp? Might be nice "in addition to" but as your go to preamp, my sense is it will get a little busy as you add tracks. I found that to be the case with my HHB Radius 50.

I own a 5050 Preamp and compressor (ivory series). Not bad at all for the money (I got it for £120 ($225) used). It hasn't changed my life or anything but we're talking about budget gear here.

I don't get much of a toob sound out if it at all, in fact it's pretty damn clean but I new that before I bought it so it wasn't a disappointment to me.

The compressor is pretty unexciting but I only use it for tracking so that's no biggy.

I used to own a couple TLA Ivory series pieces and found them definitely better than budget gear, but not comparable with high end equipment. Altogether a pretty good value in my opinion.

thanks guys. n response to your question Big Kenny i was thinking of using one in addition to the focusrite preams in my mbox (comparable to the budget platinum series i have heard) which are fairly clean i think. i cant really afford ultra high end gear at the moment and i was after something with a bit more warmth to it.

I would endorse Safe Sound P1 for a sweet mid level piece. It has a clean pre that you can push, an expander, a limiter and a compressor all in a neat little 1/2 rack. Check with Shane or Warren at Front end audio

I've got the 5001 and use it on drum tracks and as a direct for bass all the time. It's great. The tube gain stage is great for different colours, if you're into pushing things hard sometimes.

Overall, I'm happy with it.

Back