Tired old Tascam 80-8

jmarkwolf

I've got an old Tascam 80-8 multi-track recorder that is in mint condition and everything seems to work fine... EXCEPT... the rewind and fast-forward are slow, and sometimes take awhile to wind up. Also the impedance wheel continues to spin on for quite awhile when I stop the tape.

I'm hoping some capacitors on the power supply to the reel motors have gone bad, and that the impedance wheel brake issue is related. If so, it should be an easy fix. I've ordered the service manual to view the schematics before I lug it (and my money) down to the service depot.

Has anyone on the forum experienced this?

jmarkwolf said:
I've got an old Tascam 80-8 multi-track recorder that is in mint condition and everything seems to work fine... EXCEPT... the rewind and fast-forward are slow, and sometimes take awhile to wind up. Also the impedance wheel continues to spin on for quite awhile when I stop the tape.

I'm hoping some capacitors on the power supply to the reel motors have gone bad, and that the impedance wheel brake issue is related. If so, it should be an easy fix. I've ordered the service manual to view the schematics before I lug it (and my money) down to the service depot.

Has anyone on the forum experienced this?

I suggest you post this on the Analog Only forum. There you'll more likely find someone who can help. The 80-8 is a good machine.

~Daniel

The motors may be in need of a lube or a cleaning of the interior brush assemblies or at worst, they may be in need of replacement.

Sticky shed can also spoof these conditions. Does it behave the same with fresh, new tape on a clean set of heads and guides?

Cheers! :)

Back