Tired of being a newbie

Greg.

Hi all

2 years ago I bought an USB mic Samson C01U and I was quite happy when I got it. I learned things about mixing etc over the past couple of years. I changed from FL Studio to Cubase, back to FL Studio and now I'm trying in Adobe Audition. However, I was never satisfied with the result which kinda put my self-confidence lower than ever. I doubted my singing skills, which was an issue as I have had vocal lessons for years. I never dared to send my recordings to friends, who are dying to hear me sing, as I wasn't happy with how it sounded.

ANYWAY, enough of the sob story :D I continued recording and kept on learning about EQ'ing etc,... I have a feeling I kinda have a good basic knowledge, so this Summer I started recording again after months of doing nothing and I noticed my Samson C01U had this loud noise. Louder than I remembered (Example at the bottom). It's that loud that whenever I "noise filter" it, it will effect my vocals when I try to get rid of it completely.

I was wondering if I should buy a new mic (non-usb) or will an audio interface USB solve this noise problem?

I had a look at this forum today and read many topics and the MXL V67G caught my eye. Although, I don't know what else I need to connect it to my laptop as I've only been using an USB mic so any suggestions?

There were also mic's suggested such as SM57 en 58 but I'm not sure if that is good enough for what I want to do. Basically all I want to do is record vocals with a piano track.

So what should I do in your opinion? Also, if you suggest pre amps, AI USB or other mics, please keep in mind that my budget isn't big.

I hope you understand my problem :)

Noise:
Zippyshare.com - Track 3_004.wav

Hi,
If you were to buy a mic that isn't USB, you'd need an audio interface with mic preamps built in.
XLR sockets on the front is a pretty solid sign that there are preamps. Look for something with +48v phantom power if you're using capacitor/condenser mics like the v67g.

That said, it might be worth finding out what's wrong with your current mic.
Can you put that noise in context? How loud is it compared to vocal recording?
What is the input gain set to when you hear that noise?

Greg,

I am not comdemning your microphone even because I don't know anything about USB mikes. I confess though that they pull some kind of curiosity on me but I never had the chance to see one.

Anyway, IF you decide to buy a traditional microphone this is my experience. Couple years ago when I decided to start recording my first album seriously I bought two mikes: a fancy Behringer C-3 that costed me around $200 and a SM-57 clone (yeah, not the real deal) that costed me around $20. The idea was to put the SM-57 in front of my Vox VT-15 cube amp to record electric guitar but happens that I ended using amp/cabinet simulators that were more than satisfactory for me. Well, long story short, this cheap SM-57 clone stayed for two years in its case and I never had even plugged it to see if it was working.

Recently I was really sick about my Behringer C-3 as it was barely 'kind of OK'. A bit noisy and shallow sound, that is what really bothered me more. Then lurking here and there I have heard that SM-57 was awesome for vocals, and so I remembered that I had something close to it. It wouldn't hurt anyone to give it a try. So I picked that cheap clone plugged into my preamp and recorded a couple tracks. Well! All I can tell you is that it smoked the C-3 easily in the very first attempt. No noise, warm and fuller sound, it really put my jaws between my feet.

I don't need to say that the ugly black rod shaped mike took the position of official microphone and the C-3 is rotting in its case. It is just a matter of time to sell it. And the curious part is that this SM-57 is a cheap clone. In short, if you have a music store near to you that you can go and test stuff just drop there and ask if they have some cheap clone of the 57 and test it. You will be surprised how those clones may be as good as the real stuff.

If it is of interest, the brand of mine is GPA and the model is GM-570. No kidding, it costed $20.

Here a picture of it:

5702.jpg

Greg,

I am not comdemning your microphone even because I don't know anything about USB mikes. I confess though that they pull some kind of curiosity on me but I never had the chance to see one.

Anyway, IF you decide to buy a traditional microphone this is my experience. Couple years ago when I decided to start recording my first album seriously I bought two mikes: a fancy Behringer C-3 that costed me around $200 and a SM-57 clone (yeah, not the real deal) that costed me around $20. The idea was to put the SM-57 in front of my Vox VT-15 cube amp to record electric guitar but happens that I ended using amp/cabinet simulators that were more than satisfactory for me. Well, long story short, this cheap SM-57 clone stayed for two years in its case and I never had even plugged it to see if it was working.

Recently I was really sick about my Behringer C-3 as it was barely 'kind of OK'. A bit noisy and shallow sound, that is what really bothered me more. Then lurking here and there I have heard that SM-57 was awesome for vocals, and so I remembered that I had something close to it. It wouldn't hurt anyone to give it a try. So I picked that cheap clone plugged into my preamp and recorded a couple tracks. Well! All I can tell you is that it smoked the C-3 easily in the very first attempt. No noise, warm and fuller sound, it really put my jaws between my feet.

I don't need to say that the ugly black rod shaped mike took the position of official microphone and the C-3 is rotting in its case. It is just a matter of time to sell it. And the curious part is that this SM-57 is a cheap clone. In short, if you have a music store near to you that you can go and test stuff just drop there and ask if they have some cheap clone of the 57 and test it. You will be surprised how those clones may be as good as the real stuff.

If it is of interest, the brand of mine is GPA and the model is GM-570. No kidding, it costed $20.

Here a picture of it:

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely check those mics out then! Do you recommend any good pre amp for those mics, preferably not that expensive?

edit: Oh wow.. I just remembered I bought a Shure 8700 back when I was 12 years old, is that any good? Maybe I'll just need to buy a good AI then.

Hi,
If you were to buy a mic that isn't USB, you'd need an audio interface with mic preamps built in.
XLR sockets on the front is a pretty solid sign that there are preamps. Look for something with +48v phantom power if you're using capacitor/condenser mics like the v67g.

That said, it might be worth finding out what's wrong with your current mic.
Can you put that noise in context? How loud is it compared to vocal recording?
What is the input gain set to when you hear that noise?

Thanks for your reply.
My vocals are louder than the noise, the level is around 80-90 so the noise is probably as loud as level 60. But it's so loud that when I try to get rid of it with filter that my vocals sound like I'm in some kind of underwater thing.

Do you have any money? Or are you going to ask the "What's the best microphone for <insert musical style here> under $100 question?

My advice is to buy a DECENT mic and a DECENT audio interface, which won't actually cost you all that much, and save yourself the next lot of upgrade pain. Don't try to do it all for $200, unless you have no choice. Sell a kidney or something...

There are plenty of options, and I think the MXL mic you're thinking of is regarded relatively highly around here.

Do you have any money? Or are you going to ask the "What's the best microphone for <insert musical style here> under $100 question?

My advice is to buy a DECENT mic and a DECENT audio interface, which won't actually cost you all that much, and save yourself the next lot of upgrade pain. Don't try to do it all for $200, unless you have no choice. Sell a kidney or something...

There are plenty of options, and I think the MXL mic you're thinking of is regarded relatively highly around here.

I do have money but not feeling to spend more than $200 to something where I still have alot to learn about :)

My musical style is pop (pop-classic) though.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely check those mics out then! Do you recommend any good pre amp for those mics, preferably not that expensive?

edit: Oh wow.. I just remembered I bought a Shure 8700 back when I was 12 years old, is that any good? Maybe I'll just need to buy a good AI then.

Greg, I only have experience with the mikes I own, so nothing to say about this 8700. I don't use an audio interface. Instead I use a Behringer Mic100 preamp (excellent in my opinion) between the microphone and the LINE IN jack of soundcard.

:)

Hi all

2 years ago I bought an USB mic Samson C01U and I was quite happy when I got it. I learned things about mixing etc over the past couple of years. I changed from FL Studio to Cubase, back to FL Studio and now I'm trying in Adobe Audition. However, I was never satisfied with the result which kinda put my self-confidence lower than ever. I doubted my singing skills, which was an issue as I have had vocal lessons for years. I never dared to send my recordings to friends, who are dying to hear me sing, as I wasn't happy with how it sounded.

ANYWAY, enough of the sob story :D I continued recording and kept on learning about EQ'ing etc,... I have a feeling I kinda have a good basic knowledge, so this Summer I started recording again after months of doing nothing and I noticed my Samson C01U had this loud noise. Louder than I remembered (Example at the bottom). It's that loud that whenever I "noise filter" it, it will effect my vocals when I try to get rid of it completely.

I was wondering if I should buy a new mic (non-usb) or will an audio interface USB solve this noise problem?

I had a look at this forum today and read many topics and the MXL V67G caught my eye. Although, I don't know what else I need to connect it to my laptop as I've only been using an USB mic so any suggestions?

There were also mic's suggested such as SM57 en 58 but I'm not sure if that is good enough for what I want to do. Basically all I want to do is record vocals with a piano track.

So what should I do in your opinion? Also, if you suggest pre amps, AI USB or other mics, please keep in mind that my budget isn't big.

I hope you understand my problem :)

Noise:
Zippyshare.com - Track 3_004.wav

I heard plenty of noise in the file you shared, but without context, can't tell what it really signifies.

Read the sticky thread here about computers and homerecording.
The MXL V67G is a good starter condensor mic that goes for around $100. With that you need an audio interface with (at least one) mic preamp and with phantom power. There are several choices in the $150 range - Steinberg UR22, Focusrite Scarlet, Tascam amongst them. IF you truly want to record better quality sound, don't skimp now, as you'll just be wanting to upgrade in a year (like you are doing now from the USB mic).

All goodness has been stated.
To get better results you need a decent mic and an interface.

You do NOT need a pre amp.

You should not have a big learning curve with an AI because sound recording is what they are made to do! In any case I would guess 85% of the people on the forum use, or have used some form of integrated AI so there will be LOTS of help available.

If you want a name? Steinberg UR22.

Re the old mic: Shure say the 8800 was a small advance on the 8700 and the SM58 a BIG advance on the 8800! Still, if you get into geetars, probably fine in front of a cab.

Dave.

everyone rants on and on about preamps - and Dave has it 100%. Buy a decent interface to get the audio inside your computer. Don't even think about squirting audio into the analogue input of most sound cards - unless they're expensive, audio quality ones, it's pointless, and removes most of the benefit of the preamp!

The interfaces have two preamps built in, and realistically, I've come across none that have phantom power that don't have decent quality.

Get a good interface - Lexicons and the other popular ones can be really good. Then use your remaining budget on a proper mic, and forget USB mics, they're just not useful for recording. They're optimised for podcasting generally, with somebody almost on top of them.

Interfaces give you mic and line in and out, and headphones, so they become the centre of your recording activity.

I'm also not sure you are giving enough time to really understanding the software. Cubase is a fairly complex platform, even in the cut down versions, and getting to know it rather than giving up will really help you move on and up. Going back down to more basic software is a backwards step, because at some point you will find the limitations annoy you, and then you have to relearn. I've been using Cubase since it was black and white on an Atari 520 computer, and have never explored every feature, but I'm now very efficient with it, even though I still don't use all it's features.

everyone rants on and on about preamps - and Dave has it 100%. Buy a decent interface to get the audio inside your computer. Don't even think about squirting audio into the analogue input of most sound cards - unless they're expensive, audio quality ones, it's pointless, and removes most of the benefit of the preamp!

The interfaces have two preamps built in, and realistically, I've come across none that have phantom power that don't have decent quality.

Get a good interface - Lexicons and the other popular ones can be really good. Then use your remaining budget on a proper mic, and forget USB mics, they're just not useful for recording. They're optimised for podcasting generally, with somebody almost on top of them.

Interfaces give you mic and line in and out, and headphones, so they become the centre of your recording activity.

I'm also not sure you are giving enough time to really understanding the software. Cubase is a fairly complex platform, even in the cut down versions, and getting to know it rather than giving up will really help you move on and up. Going back down to more basic software is a backwards step, because at some point you will find the limitations annoy you, and then you have to relearn. I've been using Cubase since it was black and white on an Atari 520 computer, and have never explored every feature, but I'm now very efficient with it, even though I still don't use all it's features.

The problem is that I uninstalled at some point (not because I was unhappy with it) but I couldn't reinstall it again as my CD-driver doesn't work properly anymore :(

Thanks all for the advice, I'm gonna go with the MXL mic and probably Steinberg UR22 or Alesis iO2

Thanks for the 100% Rob!

I am sorry but I am going to knock you back to 99% because of Cubase.

I have bought Cubases, SE, Ess 4 and LE6 and acquired LE's 4 and 5 via hardwares.
I have struggled to like it (ok, not very hard perhaps!) but I always find it "clunky" compared to say, Samplitude (SE8). It takes forever to boot up by comparison and setting inputs and outputs is weird and time consuming I find compared to Sam.

In Sam' I can also very quickly export a track as .wav (or much anything else if I use Sam Silver) . Doing that in Cubase is a trial and in fact I have not bothered to do it for so long I would not now know where to start!(something about setting "markers"???) .

The DAW also seems very "grabby" and easily upset whereas I can minimize Sams, do pretty much anything else, then whack it back up.

Now I get that you have had it a loooong time* but then I can ride a bike ("can", don't!) and had I been practising 1/2 my life I dare say I could now ride a unicycle!

My son was better with it but even so tended to use it just for MIDI work. When he needed to grab a guitar, vocal or bass track he would use Samplitude.

So, OP, don't worry if Cubase is not for you. There are no "easy" DAWs worth the reckoning but some of us get heads around some better than others.

*Interesting therefore that even so you have not worked it ALL out? Heh!

Dave.

"CD-driver doesn't work properly anymore"
Tip for when you get it going. Download a free prog called "ImgBurn" This will allow you to make bootable copies of CD/DVD which you can stash away on a HDD in case the disc gets lost or damaged.

Download it from ninite.com
Trust them, you get a clean download with no "toolbar" ***t.

Dave.

Back