Tips on writing guitar parts to a song?

zrockisaddictin

yea i just finished a third song for my band, and just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips to easen up solos or help me find a good beat

zrockisaddictin said:
yea i just finished a third song for my band, and just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips to easen up solos or help me find a good beat

When you say that you finished a song, what's finished? Lyrics? Chord progression? I'm just not clear about what part of the process you're at, and thus need help with.

I am with the guy right above me.....????

Are you looking for tips on composing a solo?
...I guess it kinda sounds that way to me.

Do you have a specific spot in the song for a solo, and how much do you know about theory, etc. ?

Someone told me once to sing the solo I had in mind before I tried it. If it works vocally, it will work on the guitar, and then it will work musically. By singing, I mean hum (in pitch) what you would like to play. Improvise with it too...maybe even track your humming...

Just a suggestion.

Myriad_Rocker said:
Someone told me once to sing the solo I had in mind before I tried it. If it works vocally, it will work on the guitar, and then it will work musically. By singing, I mean hum (in pitch) what you would like to play. Improvise with it too...maybe even track your humming...

Just a suggestion.

that approach may sound good in theory, but range wise wouldnt it be a bit limiting? I'm willing to bet that the guitar has more range than pretty much anyones voice (excluding a few freaks of nature). just sayin.

Kasey said:
that approach may sound good in theory, but range wise wouldnt it be a bit limiting? I'm willing to bet that the guitar has more range than pretty much anyones voice (excluding a few freaks of nature). just sayin.

It's meant as a guideline and a tool. Not as the be all end all of solo writing.

the whole "sing it first" thing comes from the concept of "hearing" your idea in your head before you grab the guitar, the singing makes the idea concrete and then your melody could be transfered to any instrument as long as it works with the key of the song.

what are the chords in your progression? (this helps us determine the "key")

if your not sure please try to tab them out for us... depending on the chords i could give you quite a few guitar ideas/techniques that will help you put together a solo :)

thx

the whole "sing it first" thing comes from the concept of "hearing" your idea in your head before you grab the guitar, the singing makes the idea concrete and then your melody could be transfered to any instrument as long as it works with the key of the song.

what are the chords in your progression? (this helps us determine the "key")

if your not sure please try to tab them out for us... depending on the chords i could give you quite a few guitar ideas/techniques that will help you put together a solo :)

thx
The OP asked for the help over 5 years ago.
That said, improvised humming is a good way to go. It's often unpredictable and ridiculous moves can work out really well when transfered to an instrument. Mind you, I'm not at all sure what this is doing in the vocal forum !
Strange day all round ?

I was wondering who all these people were...

My tip was going to be "Ask the guitar forum...."

Watcha up to there themdla? Zombie troubles at home?

Life after death - Resurection ! HTH do people find these threads??????
Either they are found by extra terrestials that have the ability and willingness to breathe life into those long since departed..........or someone reading back over past threads doesn't look at the dates and is a helpful soul. It's easilly done ! :o :o :o

This is what I do for a predominantly single note lead/solo. I setup the part to loop and then I whistle/hum solo. Rinse and repeat until you find the "Feel" your looking for. Then move your hand into the proper position for the key your playing in. The let her rip adding in the grace notes, bends, vibrato/tremolo, and slides. Once you can play your solo, then experiment jumping to random notes in the key, or try jumping a 5th or octave higher. If you know your major, minor and pentatonic scale figures on a guitar neck all this should be a snap. I find solos way easier than playing hard rhythm guitar that features crazy and wild chord changes.

Racherik

Back