Tips On Tracking Guitars

I means if you copied the first take and panned one left one right about 30/30. But there's a song that I was wondering if someone could figure out the panning of the lead guitar. How can I share it?

you can.....but that would mean double-take a solo (recorded twice) and then panning it one left 30% and the other right 30%. Its hard to record and capture a solo dead on, in 2 takes.......which is why most people just record a single take for a guitar solo....

but you can do that. It will sound BIG..........but your guitar player will hate you for it, trying to record the guitar solo twice and playing it exactly the same way is very hard to do.......

in panning.....there is no right or wrong way to do things.......just a more creative approach on how you do it will separate your mixes with the rest.

If you want to cheat because your guitarist can't recreate a miracle twice do this:

Copy the track
Slide one over ~20-30ms

Pan each to taste

Also recommended: (eq them slightly differently)

It'll give more definition to the guitars and make them sound thicker (like 2 people are playing it), you'll also avoid "big mono", and your guitarist won't want to murder you in cold blood. I know, purposefully pulling a guitar out of time just seems like sacrilege, but trust me....it's a God-send sometimes... Just my .02

P.S. It's known as the "Haas effect". Look it up if you don't believe me! :D

I'll pan a track in the center all the time. I will usually have this track pretty quiet comparatively, and roll out a lot of lows and low mid stuff so it doesn't get in the way of the bass too much.

I like that idea man.
Ive done the whole 1track left 1 track right, and 1 centred (low in the mix) but never thought to cut the lows more for more room.
Good stuff.

I did a nice trick similar to this with 3 different guitar parts.
2 guitars were in drop D and the 3rd was a 7 string. So we added the 7 string into the mix double tracked but only used the low end to beef up the sound.
Ended up sounding meaty but kinda not sounding like a 7 string death metal sound also which was good. :)

Eck

SORRY BUT THIS BOARD IS FUCKED UP AND WONT LET ME MAKE NEW THREADS SO I AM GOING TO HIGH JACK THIS THREAD I APOLOGIZE :)

what are your best techniques on getting a really CLEAN guitar sound, obviously the amp matters a ton and the tone and the guitar and the player, and what color thong im wearing :o

my buddy just picked up a deluxe reverb... its a tube amp for those who dont know. I want to supply him with the cleanest recording i can.

I want that beuatiful tube amp sound to come out on recording, how should i go about doing so.

some mics i own

dynamics:

57's
e609

SCDs:

Rode nt5
Oktava mc012
behringer ECM8000

LCDs:

AT4050
MXL shitties

and so on

Put the amp on a chair, fix it so it sounds good in the room. Put a 57 on the grille, and the 4050 in figure 8 in front, fiddle around anywhere from 1-6 feet. Blend to taste, be prepared to use a little compression.

If you want to cheat because your guitarist can't recreate a miracle twice do this:

Copy the track
Slide one over ~20-30ms

Pan each to taste

Also recommended: (eq them slightly differently)

It'll give more definition to the guitars and make them sound thicker (like 2 people are playing it), you'll also avoid "big mono", and your guitarist won't want to murder you in cold blood. I know, purposefully pulling a guitar out of time just seems like sacrilege, but trust me....it's a God-send sometimes... Just my .02

P.S. It's known as the "Haas effect". Look it up if you don't believe me! :D

It's not the same thing and usually doesn't sound good. You would be better off skipping the copying of the track and just use a short stereo delay.

y
but you can do that. It will sound BIG..........but your guitar player will hate you for it, trying to record the guitar solo twice and playing it exactly the same way is very hard to do.......

I double almost every solo I play. It's not that it's hard, it's just most guitar players don't take the time to sit down and write a lead. They'll shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

I double almost every solo I play. It's not that it's hard, it's just most guitar players don't take the time to sit down and write a lead. They'll shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

ummmm.....its pretty hard. Its very difficult to capture every single nuance, and phase exactly played as the first take. For some people, it can be done if the solo is already planned and thought out, and practiced so they can play it blind-folded in their sleep.

which i cant do, my playing has too much nuance based stuff, and can get pretty complicated.

Here is my advice with the guitars:

get a guitar splitter. Go into two or three amps. Have one be the meaty heavy gain, one be the midrangey overdrive guy, and then on glassy and clean.

Put these mic'd amps on three faders and you'll find there will be a magic balance where you get all the chunk and fizz from the heavy, all the punch and guts from the overdrive amp, and the clarity and tonality of the clean. I do this a lot with a Dual Rec, a JCM 800, and a Fender Twin.

example:

www.yellowmatterrecords.com/slate/AmbrosiaNewMix.wav

Holy cow is that sound sweet. The singer reminds me of Geoff Tate, but those guitars sound fantastic

ummmm.....its pretty hard. Its very difficult to capture every single nuance, and phase exactly played as the first take.
Well, two things. the whole idea behind doubletracking is that the second part is NOT absolutely exact. If you want absolutely exact, then you just copy the track or chorus it, but the results are entirely different from playing the part twice. And if you track it twice, vive la difference!

Second, if a guitar line is *that* nuanced, it probably is more of a lead than a wall of rhythm, and is probably not a great candidate for doubling to begin with.

G.

Yellow Matter brought up a good point. Doubling with a clean guitar track will fatten up a heavy guitar part. It should be barely audible when mixed.

There's one important thing everyone is leaving out. Check your tracks in mono. There's all kinds of things you will discover when you do this worst of which can be your wall of guitars completely disappearing. I just finished a metal album with the best guitar tracks I've ever done. They were all eq'd/compressed in mono FIRST. Then panning. Then checked in mono again.

how do you mean mate? :confused:
im new at pc based recording,and just wondered
im not up on the terminology to say the least
,but lust after a huge fuck off sound all the same:D

Second, if a guitar line is *that* nuanced, it probably is more of a lead than a wall of rhythm, and is probably not a great candidate for doubling to begin with.

G.

yes, thats what i was trying to get at. Doubling (recording twice) is excellent for rhythm guitar, or that "big wall of sound". But for "guitar solos" ......its almost never needed to double it.........

i find that if a solo is doubled,,using a higain sound and a clean sound

it really makes it stand out more if mixed in together well;)

Back