tips on recording vocals quietly?

randumbdots...

I posted this on the home recording forum, and someone recommended that I also post the question here (thx for any responses)...

Hi,

Now that my children are not babies, I have a few hours a week to spend on music and recording. Those hours are at night when my kids and wife are asleep, and I need a way to record quietly so I don't wake them up. Unfortunately, the most convenient place to record is a floor below the bedrooms. Has anyone constructed any sort of "quiet recording box", perhaps to keep stray sounds out, that I could copy and use to keep sounds in. I was thinking of lining a plastic storage container with scrap frize' carpet I have downstairs, and recording with my head inside there (yes, I'm willing to admit that). Anyone have any effective, low cost solutions to my problem?

Thanks.
dots...

Q: Is he commiting suicide?

A: No, he's recording vocals!

There's lots of threads on building a vocal booth in here. Use the search! ;)

Agreed, sticking your head in a box is not going to accomplish anything. Look at the kind of booths tht WhisperRoom sells, but you do not have to buy it from them, you can do it yourself.

There are basically a few ways to control sound. One is solid materials and structures that reflect sound so it does not pass through. Another is to absorb the sound with soft materials -which need to be fairly deep to absorb lows, and last, distance. Another factor is that most any opening in an 'enclosure' will leak sound so to speak. But that doesn't mean you can't knock it way down, within reason.
My suggestion- is there a down-stairs closet you might convert? - a ready made large box, comes with lots of DEEP hanging soft materials...
:D
Wayne

notbradsohner said:
try putting that platic box with carpet on your wife and kids head, so you can get better acoustics for your vocals.
That's cute. :rolleyes: Sort of reverse-isolation? :D
Wayne
Hey! As they walk about- Variable Acoustics!

thanks

Thanks y'all for the jabs (which I certainly deserve) and advice. There aren't any closets that seem terribly usable, but I need to think about it some more. The basement (2 floors below the sleeping family) is an obvious choice, but it's not finished, and I could see myself burning all my time setting it up and not getting to the recording part.

I'll let you all know what I end up doing.

dots...

randumbdots... said:
Thanks y'all for the jabs (which I certainly deserve) and advice...
The imagery was good fun, not pointed at you though. ;)
By the way, every once in a while I get to explain why I don't put the doors back on the linen closet...

I'll let you all know what I end up doing.
dots...
See ya then.
Peace.
Wayne

Back