tips on recording a guitar in a basement

ahj

im recording the guitar and bass of a new project im doing tommorow in my basement, and i was wondering if anyone could give me tips as to how i should approach it, what mic to use, mic placement, and anything else. I need to mic a cab for the guitar and a cab for bass. I own for mics: sure sm58, rode nt-1a, cad tsm 411, and a cad kbm 412. The mics go through a yamaha mg 12 mixer and into my fostex mr8 recorder. My basement floors and walls are made of concrete, and the ceiling is wood beams and fiberglass insulation. I basically want a clean rock type sound out of the guitar.
any input is greatly appreciated.

This basement sounds like a cruddy acoustic environment and that will limit you more than anything else. Get every single duvet/mattress/couch you can down there.

As for mic'ing it, I'd close mic it with the 58 (you can take the cap off if you want, its pretty much the same as a 57). You could use a LDC or SDC (like the Rode) in conjunction with the 58 a foot and a half or two back to give it a bigger sound, but that might not be a good idea if your room sounds nasty.

thanks fo the advice.
would moving it to a carpeted, drywalled bedroom give it a better sound?

ahj said:
thanks fo the advice.
would moving it to a carpeted, drywalled bedroom give it a better sound?

Probably not. Put the amps on a chair and aim up 30 or 45 degrees at the ceiling. Close mic with whatever mic sounds good.

Back