Tips on acoustic drums

I like drums to have some wetness, I don't mean reverb, though the room can make a lot of difference...I mean where they have a bit more of that resonant THUNK-n-THUD, where they ring out some, especially the Toms.

These just sound....for lack of a better description...papery, and dead-dry.
I agree. But again, who knows what they really sound like in the room. They might sound a lot fuller and, like Broken says, this might now be a micing issue.

That room looks small, square, and untreated; so I suspect the room probably doesn't sound great. You might want to hang some quilts or something on the wall to absorb some reflections. If you have a bigger room with a higher ceiling, you probably want to play in there.

As to mics, here's what I'd try: put the dynamic with the best bass response on the kick. Put the best dynamic on the snare. Second best on the high hat. If you have three of the same dynamic, put those on the toms. Then use the condenser as an overhead or room mic. Some places to put it could be:
1. Walk around the room while matt plays; find the place where the kit sounds the best. Put it there. Try different heights (e.g. Hip level, snare level, high, etc.)
2. by the drummer's right/left ear pointed at the snare/kick
3. Way above the kick

Back