tips for improving an already recorded GTR

AlfredB

Hi there,

I recorded yday a part of a song, (character: very overdriven, treble booster, kindalike classic rock tone).

I have dobletracked it (line out of a VOX VT120 AND mic'd it) ... i like what i hear (in general) ... but I sure appreciate a discussion on how to *improve* the tracks.

I know ther is no general rule and that my ears are my only true guide, but keep coming any tips and tricks -

I am looking for a good "AC/DC Riff " feeling (B.I.Black, H.T.Hell)

again - we talk modding an already existing reasonably good TRACK and I look for a RIFF-feeling

thx for your thoughts and ideas
alfred

When you say 'improve' that means you feel the sound is lacking somewhere. Try to fix what the problem is. It may be an EQ, compression, or effect problem. If you want the guitars to sit back in the mix, throw some verb, if they are fighting the bass, cut some lows out. There are many different things you can attempt to do.

A clip would help...

But really - save some obvious thing like horrid buzzing, or drastic EQ error, it's hard to tell until you hear it in the mix. A solo'd guitar track can sound great on it's own, but put it in the mix and it's all wrong. Same goes for a solo'd guitar track that sounds horrid on its own, but totally works in the mix.

Just food for thought...

I try to think of mixing as carving - carving the sound(s) out until they mesh together just right. Also remember there are 1000 different ways to do something right - there is no black and white with mixing (or music period for that matter). A really helpful thing is to reference your mix with a commercial mix you are trying to emulate - have the commercial stereo track right there and be able to switch back and forth on the fly. Try and mock what you hear.

For the guitar, I'd start to roll-off some of the upper frequencies (starting around 6K). It's too bright for the Angus sound. Maybe a bit less gain if you retrack.

Back