tips for cohesive mix

baniak

Hi,

I'm just starting to multitrack myself playing live instruments. Before I mostly just did computer based music. I really enjoy doing live multitracking, moreso than just making music by point- and - click - and type method... getting back to my roots so to speak.

Blah blah blah - anyway, I've encountered the problem that didn't really occur as much with using samples and soft synths:

When I record two separate parts - say a conga and a keyboard - it really doesn't sound like they are playing together... they sound like they are totally separate parts of the mix -

but what sorts of tricks and effects (EQ, compression, etc. ???) are there that make a mix cohesive - i.e. how do you make it sound that all the instruments are playing together.

FYI (I don't know if this makes a difference) this is my setup:

Running all mics and instruments into a Behringer MX802 mixer into the Soundblaster that came with my comp and recording using cool edit.

I record with an SM58, an Oktava 319, and a Superlux somthing something - and I record keys or guitar (sometimes mic-ing an amp) The only outboard effect I use is an Electrix filter queen with the keys or guity.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Baniak,

I am no mix expert, but I am a fellow Behri 802 owner!!

Anyway, you might want to think about reverb / room sounds. If the conga is dry but the keyboard patch has a lot of verb, they may sound like they are in 2 different rooms. Try adding a little verb to the conga or a little of the same reverb to both parts.

Maybe the room the Conga was recorded in enhanced or attenuated certain frequencies? A big spacious keyboard sound might not sound right with a conga recorded in a small room. Maybe EQ will fix.. Maybe room treatment?

Also, if the conga is very dynamic and the keyboards very flat, maybe compressing the conga a little will help put them on the same level?

Maybe the performance can be improved?

Hard to say anything actually without hearing.
Anyway, I am a newbie myself... so take my advise for what its worth.

Gunther

Back