Time to add to the setup !!!!!

Mastermindzz

Hip Hop and R & B

My setup consits of a Yamaha Motif 7 and a MPC 2000xl, in the next three months I will add a module of month spending a total of $1450

Should I get a Korg Triton rack for $1300 or

EMU Proteus 1000 $400
EMU Mo Phatt Chip $250
Used Korg MS2000R $300
Still deciding on a Used Trinity Rack $400 spending roughly $1350

Other suggestions welcome

:confused:

You know, the truth is how can you expect anybody to answer such a question. Nobody here can tell what is inside your head. Ask youself if the instrument sounds like the music you want to create. None of these instruments are better or worse than any other in terms of their ultimate use.

What I mean is this: Once the instrument is used in the mix, it is the music that counts. Each module, keyboard etc. of any merit other than super cheap, toy like training keyboards or kiddie keys, will have usable sounds. The key (pardon the pun) is to use the sounds in a musical fasion. Therefore, it the music you create is appropriate for the sound, the sound will become that much better becuase of the context.

I have heard many keyboards over the years. Standing alone one often is wowed by innovative, cool sounds. However, when it comes time to mix those sounds into you music, they do not always translate that well. Some of the coolest synth sounds are quite difficult to use in any musical way, particularly those with alot of modulation effect.

So, you see, the greatest wisdon I have seen recently was from a musician that used an old Korg primarily. That person said that it is better to learn one instrument fully and have complete control over it than to have many, many instruments.

Select a keyboard or module that has the type of feature for the type of player/programmer you are and then learn it inside and out.

If you are into programming, get a synth with lots of knobs and real time controllers. If you are into down loading sounds, get something that has that kind of support. Do your own research and do not ask people to decide on a keyboard for YOU!

Bang for the buck, and all biases aside I would seriously consider purchasing the following:

mo phatt module
triton rack with EXB04 expansion
or one of the XV modules with srx 05 expansion

'course all three would be powerful, but you want to keep in a certain budget.

Now - to narrow it down, if I had to take one of those for that style of music, I'd hit the Triton rack with EXB04 expansion firstly, followed by the xv, and then the mo phatt.

Just my 2 pentz, and worth exactly that.

-muzakal

Back