Time - Some kind of pop-rock thing

Chronovore

Hello, people,

I finished this song last night and wondered if anyone had any input on the mix. I'm not that great at mixing, and I like the sound of it, personally, I just feel like it could be a lot better sounding.

Drums, Piano, and Bass are VSTs: EZDrummer2 for drums, 4front for bass and piano. I played the guitars and sang. This isn't my usual style of music, and I don't consider myself a vocalist, so I'm interested in what people think of the vocals overall.

Thanks for any feedback.

Time by ReverseOsmosis | Reverse Osmosis | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I thought the song was pretty cool. Some of the guitar tones were good - the center panned distorted guitar was cool.

You might have gone overboard with the toys. I didn't really care for the effects on the vocal. I'd prefer a natural sound. The effect on the keyboard in the intro was distracting.

The drum pattern was very busy and distracting.

The harmony vocal, and the whole section when they come in, was excellent. I'm hearing some pitchiness in the harmony tho.

All in all, I liked this. Put a few of the toys back in the toy box and this would be greatly improved.

The piano tone isn't great.

Kind of sounds like an old Casio or something.
Lead guitar could come up during the solos. It's arranged to be equivalent to the vocals, but it's much quieter. To that effect, the vocals could maybe come down a bit. With all those "lo-fi" effects on it, it makes more sense to not put it way on top.

The tonal shift when the harmonies come in is cool.

I might get a guest to do the rap verse if possible.

Thank you both for your feedback. It’s nice to get constructive criticism from strangers as I can trust they aren’t just trying to make me feel good.

When I have time in the coming days, I will give it another try with a more organic sounding instrumentation.

VHS, I’m curious about the third verse: was it just not convincing enough a vocal sound for the lyrical style? I’ve never tried anything like that before, but it a lotta fun for me to put together and I’m curious if I could do it better or if it’s just not something that I could do well.

Thanks again

Heh I was enjoying the lead break and thinking how many good guitarists there are around and then it all got a bit weird with the fade out and back in. I thought you did good on the vocals. The effect reminded me of the Gorilliaz, not a superfan but it fit the style. Good job

Hi, Bulls Hit, and thanks for the kind words. I don’t know where inspiration for that fade out came from, but I just went with it. It’s one of the highlights of the song for me now.

Taking into account the comments about keyboard tones and audio toys, I did another mix. I’m actually liking it better now, I may even go back and clean up my sloppy guitar solos :-)

Time V2 by ReverseOsmosis | Reverse Osmosis | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks for listening

I don't like the "time to fly" section much, not at all really. I think you should ditch that completely. It really doesn't fit and takes the song a different way, and not in a good manner. The relevant part of this song is the verse/vocal/blues solo. The song is also too long...I would rewrite this, just taking out those sections and seeing how they transition into one another without it.

As for the mix, the vocal effect is odd. Not that you can't have FX on it, but it isn't working to its advantage, in my opinion. The drum/bass groove isn't carrying the song very well, probably because of all the drum reverb going on - the drums seem way in the back.

Let me say, cause I guess I haven't so far, that the verse is outstanding, as written. The mix isn't doing it justice, it's lacking in some areas, and the half time section is detracting from the song. Just my opinions.

I would suggest trying the "mix this" forum as well. I would def take a crack at it if you put the raw files up in there.

Back