time for those opinions to shine...

jameslucas

What should I buy next, -or- where is the weakest link in my chain (which already sounds very clear and good). I have a SB Audigy card which I run via the headphone jack to two behringer truth monitors. I also run the audigy to my behringer 8ch mixer. Into the mixer I have a Sampson C01 condensor, which I should've bought 3 years ago instead of the SHS Om-500 I've used for all of my recordings. I record vox with the C01, my Vox AC15 with the Shs Om-500 or my Audiotechnica MB-1000L. I also use those two dynamics and the condensor for the drums. Recordings sound good but I've got about $200 or so to blow or it'll just get spent on dope. Any suggestions? (Gibson 335, American Tele, Seagull Acoustics (folk and s6 cedar), just in case you were curious. Thanks....lucas

Well... The Vox is cool.

I'd save up the $200 instead of spending it on more crap that will need to be replaced down the road. Either that or go for the dope.

Is the question what doesnt need an upgrade? Or, in other words - of these chain links scattered on the ground which one was the strongest? If its the other way around, Im having an overload. You could basically replace any of that stuff. Soundcard, Mixer (Pre's), Microphones, etc. However - if you are happy with your sound - why do anything?

replace the soundcard. you can get a proper soundcard for your money, look at the m-audio range, particularly the audiophile or my preferred option for my needs, the delta 44. you get *good* converters and true 24/96 recording (the audigy only run 24/96 on playback) and a couple of extra ins and outs to play with routing options. if your mixer is an MX series one, that needs to go, although i confess to being a happy enough user of a UB series 1204. the pres are better and with the two stereo busses i can a stereo pair for recording and also deal with my monitors through the same little board. great value for money and certainly not a weak link in your chain then.

the card will last you ages unless you needs loads more inputs, then it's time to look at some mics upgrades...yeay.

jameslucas said:
What should I buy next, -or- where is the weakest link in my chain (which already sounds very clear and good).

If it already sounds good, then kick back and smoke it up. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Re: Re: time for those opinions to shine...

rvdsm said:
If it already sounds good, then kick back and smoke it up. Don't fix what isn't broken.

That's like saying: "My Yugo gets me to where I'm going therefore there's no need to get a better car. " The guy didn't even realize how crappy his signal chain was until he got a cheap condenser mic.

Lucas, don't spend money you don't have, but by all means upgrade your soundcard and your mic pre when you get a chance. You WILL notice a significant improvement in your recordings (I did), if that is important to you.

Re: Re: Re: time for those opinions to shine...

tdukex said:
That's like saying: "My Yugo gets me to where I'm going therefore there's no need to get a better car. "

And your point is?

Re: Re: Re: Re: time for those opinions to shine...

rvdsm said:
And your point is?

My point was don't advise someone to settle for the existing Yugo when they're asking how to improve their ride. :D

Anybody here willing to settle for a Yugo?

Didn't think so. :D

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: time for those opinions to shine...

tdukex said:
My point was don't advise someone to settle for the existing Yugo when they're asking how to improve their ride. :D

Anybody here willing to settle for a Yugo?

Didn't think so. :D

Okay point missed.

Allow me to elaborate.

A person wanting to buy a Ferrari for the price of a Kia should find better uses for his money

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: time for those opinions to shine...

rvdsm said:
Okay point missed.

Allow me to elaborate.

A person wanting to buy a Ferrari for the price of a Kia should find better uses for his money

Fair enough, and my real point is that when I upgraded from my SB Live card to a $200 M-Audio Dman 2044 I noticed a significant improvement in both my AD and DA conversion. Maybe the Audigy is better than the Live, but I haven't heard anyone who has moved up from the Audigy to dedicated audio card say that it wasn't a worthwhile investment. I still use my live card for soundfonts, BTW. Also, when I upgraded my Behringer pres to a $200 M-Audio DMP3 I again noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the recordings. These aren't exactly Ferrari priced improvements, more like Chevy.:)

id sell some plasma to kick the budget up to $250 and get the Delta 1010lt.....its a good bit quieter than the Audigy, better converters, and the 2 preamps may even be a tad better than the Behringer mixer.....

with the 1010lt youll be able to record the 3 drum mics to 3 separate tracks......

Problem is, right now your signal chain is pretty balanced. Everything in it is of the same general bottom feeder quality, except your axes, which are just fine. $200 could make a minor improvement in any one part of your signal chain, but the general quality of the rest of it may cause a $200 improvement of any one component to get lost "in the mix". I agree with the guys who are saying-get a sound card. Usually, I am a fanatic about improving the front end, but I'm not sure in this case that $200 would change much. Go for a soundcard.-Richie

Back