Thumping noise in my microphone?!

DarrenVocal

Hello there people of HR, I have recently purchased a MXL 2003A Oktavamod modified microphone. It is a 2nd hand one, so I got it for pretty cheap. Sound demo have been included to show the "thumping noise" that is present in the microphone. Earlier today I didn't have this problem!

I've done some tests with it, it seems that it is not a thumping noise, but a POPPING noise! Help , anyone?

Ok, direct to soundcloud worked.

Sounds like background noise, and your foot tapping on the mic stand. If not, then you may have an issue. :(

Never had this problem in the morning, so definitely not background noise.

Not tapping my foot on the mic stand, so that's out too.

So what issue might it be? The microphone or the AI?

At the risk of being no help whatsoever, I've heard similar noises resulting from a couple of different causes.

First, static electricity affecting the mic can sound like that--it the air in your studio particularly dry just now?

Second, clocking errors in your interface can sound like that.

At the risk of being no help whatsoever, I've heard similar noises resulting from a couple of different causes.

First, static electricity affecting the mic can sound like that--it the air in your studio particularly dry just now?

Second, clocking errors in your interface can sound like that.

Clocking errors? What causes it?
And in Singapore the weather is pretty humid, so its not really that easy to control the humidity, even when using a de-humidifier.

I'm guessing you're in a high rise condo. Concrete floor?? If so, it's road noise, or seismic noise or other people in the building.

Are you sure it's not your feet?? Walking around?? I've ruined perfectly good takes by tapping my foot to the music.

I don't think that is the sound of a clocking problem, if it wasn't so consistent I would say maybe air turbulence. Is there a chance that a fan or air system was on as opposed to earlier?

I'm guessing you're in a high rise condo. Concrete floor?? If so, it's road noise, or seismic noise or other people in the building..
That is a possibility as well. I noticed the Oktava mk012 for example will transmit any movement like that.

Alright, so here's the deal. I have placed the microphone in its pouch for about let's say 5-6 hours, and its thumping noise stopped. So I'd guess its either condensation or some kind of "warmed-up" sound.

Back