Thrift store finds!!!! PLEASE HELP!

hrwmusic

Your mo-o-ovin' so fast..
Does anyone know of the roberts model 771x reel to reel?

i saw it at my thift store for 45$

can ANYONE AT ALL give me any info in this?

THANKS!!!
so much,

and also i saw a FX95 by Kraco (100w)

anyone know of that either?

The549 said:
GET IT! Then you can tell us how it is. :cool:
arggg, how much do reel to reel's run thease days (probly a broad answer for that, sorry!)

I know my way with digital, but i know pretty much nothing about this field.
Is there anyone at all who knows anything, or knows a web site, or number, or company?

I have pictures below

Attachments

• reel to reel 008.jpg
    reel to reel 008.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 131
I would check it out again. I think those preamps have tubes in them If nothing else it might make a good mic preamp. I would get it.

I've seen Roberts tape decks on Ebay and they don't go for much more than that. I think they used to make alot of Field recorders back in the day because it seems to me that's what I saw of them on Ebay.

Actually maybe it's not a tube recorder, Heres one similar http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-REEL-TO-REEL-ROBERTS-770X-TAPE-RECORDER-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ9733098574QQihZ008QQcategoryZ15000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This one seems to be the same one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Roberts-Reel-to-Reel-Player_W0QQitemZ9734498626QQcategoryZ15000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If it were me, and it had tubes I'd try and talk him down to about $25. I don't think it has tubes though, I think it's solid state.

Last edited:
Some people use just the tube preamps on those roberts decks and modify them as well .. but I'm not sure if this model has the tubes as SteveMac points out.

It's not a bad machine for what it is but it's not exceptional either. It is an old recorder which would need servicing to bring it up to spec. Not worth it imho.

Dr. Robert(s)

Yea, I have a tube model that is great for the pres, but other than that I just use it to create little lo-fi episodes on my records. At $45, I say hold off and get the tube model.

That looks like one the the Akai Roberts ones. A domestic 4 track 2 channel, and having the two rotary controls means it is probably one of the lower end single motor jobs.

Search on units like the Akai 4000DS and you'll get an idea of what its worth.

At a minimum you'll probably need to replace a belt or two and clean all the switches. Also make sure it has the speed change sleeve (slips over the capstan) otherwise you'll be stuck with the lower speed (3.75ips).

Back