Three tracks from an indie rock kinda band. Am I doing alright?

geet73

OMG!
Here's a band that has been taking FOREVER to record. They come once a week because that's all they have time for with school and work (They go to school/work in the city 45 minutes away). They get horribly sidetracked everytime we get together. It wouldn't annoy me if I hadn't hooked them up and given them such a small fee.

But anyway.. these are the first three songs we've "finished". I'm sure they'll find something they want to redo on them. I did a quick "master" for them and all.. blah blah. Each song is mixed completely differently. I need to now make them sound like they belong on the same album.

Is everything sounding alright? Or am I missing something big?

The first song is an upbeat rock song.
The second song is a bit slower.
The third song is an acoustic song. There is quite a bit of fan noise in one of the mics. Everything was recorded live. I guess he was too close to the computer. They said they don't mind, though. They actually kinda like it. I don't know why.. meh.

But if you could.. any comments would be greatly appreciated.

(I apologize if you post on Gearslutz, too. I just copied this from there. Some of you may remember the third song from a while ago.)

Listened to the first track Geet.

Im not liking how the vocals get buried from time to time.
Also the instruments are just a bit too big IMO.

Id put more empahsis on the drums and vox.
Were talking like1 or 2db difference here, nothing big.
Your getting better. :)

Man....if you want something to mix against id listen to this and mix your mix against it.

Thanks, man. I need to spend some more time with it without the band here. I'm just hoping I get the chance to do that. The want it finished by the end of this week... and I have 2 recordings that I HAVE to finish/get started because of me leaving for tour/my bassist going to Iraq for 7 damn months on the 2nd.

The choruses in that song seem to just go nuts. This is the best(IMO) that I've gotten the keyboard:guitar ratio. They decided on some strat-like icky clean sound that just wasn't working. I used so plugins to try to get a little grit on it.. but it's just "blech". They seem to be content with it, though.

I'll definitely try to take another stab at it at clear everything up. I'm with you on the vocals. They wanted them quieter. I'm sure they won't even notice if I turn them up. :D

If you get a chance to, I love to hear your opinion on "goodbye blue monday"(the second one). It's quite a bit different from the first, mix-wise.

I wish I could do the job that Chris Walla does. I love what he does. :)

wow. this sounds great. i always listen flat and the bass came out at me and i could still hear the kick and stuff.

i'm guessing you went for the acoustic tones that are there. indie bands like to be different. i'm listening to goodbyeblue monday and i hear the crackle noise when its just the voice going. i listen to indie stuff a lot, and i like it. keep it.

only thing is that if i was listening on something that colors the bass it may get too much, but i have a pref for not overpowering bass, so i think its perfect. the vocals aren't way out in front but you never know with indie, they usually have louder instrumental things going on and the vocals can be just another instrument at times.

i think you need to ask the band. its their songs and they are the only real judge. they listen to this sort of music the most and can give you the best idea.

if you don't trust them its always good to A/B some of the bands they are influenced by or sound like. just put a track of the band and mute/solo it to get an idea of what your mix should be shooting for. (i saw someone recommended deathcab. i wouldn't use that recording. sounded kinda low quality.)

emergencyexit said:
How did you record all of this?

Drums:
Kick - AKG D112
Snare - SM57
Toms - SM58
OH - MXL 991

Guitar:
Acoustic - Either the Studio Projects B1 or an MXL 991.
Electric - EV635A(Amp was a Carvin X100B.)
Mandola - MXL 991
Banjo - SPB1

Bass:
Nicer Ibanez Soundgear into a Tech 21 Bass Driver. The kid is also a HELL of a bassist.

Vocals - SP B1
Random noises(Claps, shaker, tamborine....) - SPB1

All of those went into a Behringer DDX3216 which went into a Terratec Phase88 which went into Cubase.

Cello: The one guitarist had an Ovation with FRESH Elixers on it. The Ovation was completely plastic or whatever. It was kind of bright and didn't have loads of body to it. The other guitarist had a nice Washburn. I want to turn the vocals up a little in these songs. They were there for nearly all of the mixing of these. They're really picky.

geet73 said:
I just copied this from there. Some of you may remember the third song from a while ago.

I remember the third song. Cool tune. I like the low vocal thing in the first song but it does seem to get buried on some notes/words.

Listening to the first song now. Unlike some others I don't have a problem with the vocals getting a little muffed every now and then. You could stand to pull them up a little, but it's a stylistic decision as far as I'm concerned. I think the drums sitting back in the mix the way they are accentuates the atmosphere of the song.

Speaking of which, that is the are I'd think about; the atmosphere. The song has a good energetic vibe to it, not being in your face gives the listener some space to come into it. You could push that a little further by creating a little more of an enveloping feeling to the song. Perhaps a little more reverb on things like drums and vocals, but most of the atmosphere is going to come from those keys. Give them a little more of a spacey sound and that will go a long way to putting the listener in a dizzy space.

The only other thing I'd think about is fattening up the bottom end. I think the kick is fine and tight, but the verses will have more pulse and really get into people if the bass is throbbing a little more visceraly. It doesn have to be a lot, but enough so the verses have a constant little rumble that shakes your ass.

I like it though. Good solid mix and I really like the song.

that last acoustic song sounds really good. it's really chill, i like it. awesome job

Good stuff. I fear the vocal technique, particulary in the first cut, compromises your ability to bring it up in the mix.

The instrumental mix is good. What kind of space do you record in?

Todzilla said:
The instrumental mix is good. What kind of space do you record in?

My computer room. Ha. It's 13'X15' with carpet on the floor, drywall everywhere else. My "acoustic treatment" consists of a sofabed basstrap in the back and a couple bookcase diffusers. ;)

It is bastards like you that almost sway me into digital recording from my beloved tape.
Love the diddy. Mix, not recording or playing, is your biggest challenge. Drums are set 'back' in the mix, as well as lead vocals. keys are right on and up front. Mix it right and you have a great piece of audio in your hands.

oh and i'd pan the 2nd guy's vocals to the center in track 1. it just sounds open and empty with the whole band rocking out and then only half the spectrum having vocals

ahj said:
that last acoustic song sounds really good. it's really chill, i like it. awesome job

I agree - "Life in the Fourth Dimension" sounds excellent. Great tones and clarity. Vocals are really nice. Great mix geet........

Back