Thoughts/opinions?

jjjtttggg

Simple guitar and voice on cover of "I'll Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie. Singer is my daughter's friend. It's a song they were singing together so we recorded it. Any opinions on the recording/mix/sound? Suggestions as to how to make this kind of recording (really simple) sound better?

http://www.themusichutch.com/listen.php?songid=101589

J

Last edited:
It sounds nice jjjtttggg. I'd keep the recording even simpler though and and ease off the reverb a little - she has a good voice and I think it would sound better if it was mixed with an even more natural, fuller sound.

When I was listening to it, I was thinking that I'd like the vocal mixing to sound more like this.

Sounds kind of cheap to me. Sounds like a DI acoustic and hard compression on the vocals with bad reverb, which is a shame because this could be a sweet little ditty. I'd like to hear a more natural sound overall.

Thanks folks,

I'll rework the vocal with less effect. Yes, Greg, it is a bridge pickup recorded direct. I thought when I listened to it back that it might be a good opportunity to have a go at properly recording acoustic guitar. I've read a lot about how to go about it, but I've never tried in a context where it wasn't just a background rhythm instrument along with lots of other stuff. I'll post back the next version when I have it done...

Thanks again,
J

Much better - I wouldn't dry the vocals any more than you have done in mix2, they sound good as they are now. Would they sound too flat if you eased the mids off a tiny bit more? I don't know.

The guitar sounds better too - fuller in the intro than mix1 and with less of that bridge pickup sound. Liking it.

i find the room on the vox is a little bit small. try reducing the reverb & make it longer. you don't need to hear the reverb, its just to give it some depth.
i would also lowcut the guitar since it rumbles sometimes.
nice song :-)

very nice song...nothing on the mix...loved the performance..I agree about the DIing of the guitar but it doesnt sound bad at all

shes very sweet sounding

The second mix is more modern sounding, and I think it's a very very good performance by both singer and guitar player.

thanks for the listen and comments guys. I'll post up another version with better recorded guitar (if I get around to doing it. These things seem to have an emotional half life to them. They get to a point where you think they're sort of done, and even when you realize there's something more you should do, it seems like sometimes the moment has passed. Don't know if that sounds familiar to anyone else, but I've noticed it on several songs.) Anyway thanks again!

J

Back