Thoughts on this...

i dont really think the quality is all that great on Samson microphones. the only experience i have with them is that a friend of mine has a Samson USB mic that he used to make a few acoustic guitar/vocal recordings that he sent to me. i'm not sure if it had to do with his mic placement or recording techniques or anything, but to me the mic sounded completely lifeless. no detail in the highs, and very weak in the low end. so i'm guessing it'll probably work if all you have is $40 for a mic, but it's probably not going to sound very good. once you get into the $100 range, however, your mic options really start to open up. it might be worth saving a little bit more.

on closer inspection, it appears that this mic is pretty much the same thing as the Samson C01 except that it has switchable pickup patterns. that said, the C01 is the same mic as the C01U USB mic that my friend used to make those recordings i mentioned above. so i'd have to say that i don't recommend getting that particular mic. it's definitely not flattering on vocals, if that's what you're looking to use it for.

oh wait i mis-read the original link you posted. it's the shock-mount which costs $39.99 not the mic, haha, my mistake. anyway, looks like the C03 sells for around $100. in that range, check out the MXL V67G. it's guarunteed to sound much better, and for vocals, you're probably not going to need a switchable pickup pattern anyway. i personaly like the sound of the V67G way better than my AKG C2000B which cost almost double the price. but at the time of my purchase i didn't really know any better. but there's also a few other quality mics in that price range and if you search the forum a bit, you can find lots of reviews for budget mics.

Back