Thoughts on the new MIM Strats....

dmc777

I played a new MIM Strat the other in a local music store and was actually very impressed. They've even taken the serial number off the headstock which makes it look like an american strat lol! For the price you really can't beat it! I'd probably replace the pickups eventually though. I'd like to hear other opinions because I think I'm about to buy one.

Classic answer: some are good some are not as much, play a bunch and find the good one. I have played several mex strats and some americans, and and upgrade to electronics will get you pretty far.
I would never buy a new mex strat, as the used are SOOO much cheaper and you will easily find one in any reasonably populous area on craigslist and can play a bunch and pay maybe $300 for the one you want to keep.

That said, i have a pretty nice 80's CIJ strat that i put new bill lawrence pickups in, and a new pickguard and it rules (i also stripped it and refinished as natural, but that would only hurt value to anyone but me probably). It is as good playing and sounding as any american strat i have seen or played (although ihave no real experience with vintage stuff).

Now, as for electronics-- i have no idea what the stock pickups in a MIM strat are, but if they are like the stock PUPs in my MIM jazz bass, they suck balls and need immediate replacement.

So my conclusion would be:
look used, shop around, chances are for a MIM budget you can either get a cheaper MIM strat, upgrade pickups and get a good setup and be really happy for less. OR... look around for a used japanese strat and get something decent for about the same.

daav

I agree - a Stratocaster is the one guitar I would never buy new. There are so many used ones around that even buying used you can still practically pick the color you want.

I'm not a Strat guy (something about that 25-1/2" scale) but I have owned 3 MIM Fender basses (and three MIM Fender amps) so far. All have been well made instruments/amps with no issues (except that the Blues Jr arrived with only 3 of its 5 tubes in place -- I read lots of complaints about them, but in the event, once I got every thing back in the appropriate sockets it kicked butt).

I would have no qualms about buying a used MIM Strat, if that were what I wanted. I have a harder time finding used MIM basses, because people tend to hang on to them.

Yea you could definately get a used cheaper. I've been playing for about 12 years and have never had a new electric! I got lucky and scored an 1982 US made Strat in mint condition for 400!! It's the only electric I have lol. I'm thinking about painting it though...I don't care about the value because I'm never selling it. It's that pewter color with a nice maple neck. Think Eric Clapton's grey strat in the 80's it looks just like. But back to where I'm going with this. I want to buy myself a new electric because I never have lol and I'm definately not throwing out triple digits for a damn Gibson. Maybe I'll go with the MIM strat and put some different pickups in it but I'm not sure yet. Whatever I do I post a pic with some info.

I agree with everything above.

If you're really angry at your money and want to teach it a lesson, then buy a new MIM strat.

If, however, you don't hate your money, buy it used.

Fender raised their prices by 35-40% in April. That is not a typo. How's that for saying "Thanks for your business, SUCKER"?

I agree with everything above.

If you're really angry at your money and want to teach it a lesson, then buy a new MIM strat.

If, however, you don't hate your money, buy it used.

Fender raised their prices by 35-40% in April. That is not a typo. How's that for saying "Thanks for your business, SUCKER"?

Haven't we gone into this before like 18 times, man? On an inflation adjusted basis it actually is pretty close to being in line with pricing 10 years ago when I first bought my Strat, and a few years from now will actually be at a discount.

That said, it makes Warmoth look like a more appealing option... :D

Look at the MIJ/CIJ models too. Priced between the MIA and MIM models, but more consistent quality than MIM (and arguably at least as good if not better than MIA as well). Pickups on recent guitars (new or used) are always a matter of individual taste. Hardware and electronics varies by country of manufacture. On average, the MIA stuff tends to be somewhat better than the others, but it still depends on what year and what model. I recently bought a 2008 MIJ Tele and immediately swapped out the PUPs for some SD 5-2 and Vintage PUPS. The stock PUPs weren't "bad," I just like these better - smoother and not as bright.

Haven't we gone into this before like 18 times, man? On an inflation adjusted basis it actually is pretty close to being in line with pricing 10 years ago when I first bought my Strat, and a few years from now will actually be at a discount.

That said, it makes Warmoth look like a more appealing option... :D

We have. And now Fenders are on sale at one major online retailer, and another major online retail is offering $100 mail in rebates if you buy a Fender. There's a local guitar store having a huge sale next weekend and allegedly a Fender rep will be there to shake your hand and give you your rebate in person if you buy a Fender guitar.

And, speaking modestly, it's all because of my whining about their prices. :D I'll check with my personal assistant, but I don't think that "stopping my whining about Fender's prices" is coming up on the agenda...

I recognize the observation that the price hike coincides with the 10-year old inflation adjusted price, however I reject that observation as a justification for the new price. It takes a lot more than "adjusting for inflation" to determine the price the market will bear. And it seems like I'm on to something, because Fenders are on sale, have mail-in rebates, or (allegedly) have cash back at the point of sale, all of which suggests that:

Fender guitars are overpriced.

Check out the used market. Then you don't have to suffer through the hassle of a mail-in rebate just to get a fair price.

Bitching about Fender's price increase won't be anything I cease anytime soon, either.

A) the sale was a calculated event designed to lure in customers who don't keep daily watch on prices, with flashy deal incentives.

B) the sale is their way of saying "shit......"

We can throw inflation around all day long but as everyone should be seeing right now, adjusting for inflation in the middle of a recession, in the long run, will probably hurt your business.

I.E. The Frito Lay Co. is adding 20% more to specially marked bags for a limited time with no price increase as a way to entice consumers to buy their product.

Fender has the history and Fender has the loyalty to survive just about anything they can think of doing but this "inflation" is just enough to sway a person into buying something else and I find that sad.

On a not so sad note, I believe the world is finally getting a glimpse behind the scenes. With all of the reporting on corporate spending, people realize just how much companies over-charge them and they're not happy. Way to go Corporate America! *golf clap*

Back