Thoughts on new recording

Stuvenator

I haven't recorded vocals yet but I thought I'd post this pre vocals anyway and get some thoughts, so this is a pretty rough mix.

So the issues I think I'm having at the moment are mainly to do with the bass. It is DI'd and sounds passable in some parts, and terrible in other parts. I have played around with EQ and compression a bit but have still to find anything I like.

Other than the bass guitar, does this mix sound too clean? Anyone got any ideas? Thoughts?

Attachments

• Waiting For The Day.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
hey man, cool song.

I just think the bass is loud, maybe if you lower it a bit, you wont be annoyed by it, haha. I think the song is good, but the loud bass is making the mix sound boomy and muddy.

Thats my 5 cents on it.

Last edited:
Other than the bass poking out a little bit on the lower notes and the snare sounding a little over compressed it's good.

Over all performance it good. Too Clean?? It can never be too clean. I like it. Just a suggestion on your bass track, try just a tad bit of compression. It will help level out the volume, tame the loud parts and bring up the low ones. It will make it a lot easier get a more even mix. I use a hollow body bass and I learned this the hard way. Although they have great dynamics it does make them a bit hard to track evenly. I hope to hear the vocals added to this. It's got promise!!

Yeah I've actually got two compressors on the bass I think, but for some reason that's not helping much. I'm still new to mixing and stuff so I probably need to keep on experimenting with the compression. Thanks for the input guys, it really helps!

I noticed the unevenness on the bass. If you have two compressors on it already, then I'd suggest a couple of things. One - it might be some low-end frequency popping out. So you might be able to notch it out with EQ. I think that approach is a longshot based on what I'm hearing. I don't think it's a frequency problem, I think it's a playing problem. Bass players have to be real aware of their level when recording. So if the first approach I mentioned doesn't work, I'd retrack and work on a more consistent level in the playing.

The guitars sound real nice.

Drums are OK. A little cymbal heavy. Snare was a little wet.

Yeah I think it's more important to control consistency when it's DI. I really wanted to have a driving bass especially in the second verse, but I think I will just have to settle for something simpler.

Okay so I finally managed to get some alone time to do vocal recording. I haven't done any comping or anything but I just want to know what you guys think of the vocals in the mix. At the moment I feel like they don't blend very well:

View attachment 97656
I like the music bed, although drums could have more punch. A bit of intonation issues in the vocals. Also they seem to ride on top of the music rather than sitting in a pocket. It could be a volume issue - bed not loud enough? - but I also think you have everything stacked in the center. Move stuff out of the middle, leave just the snare, kick, bass and vocals. Start panning some of the other instruments.

One thing that has worked well for me is to double track the guitars and pan one left and one right. It gives them a nice sound and clears out space for the vocals.

Thanks for your feedback. Everything in the song that needs to be panned is panned (all guitars, effects, keys, organs etc). I am hoping to upgrade my Cubase so I can get VariAudio so I can change the inotation issues here and there. Unfortunately I can't use a general pitch correct due to the song not fitting into one nice key.

The acoustic guitars are panned one left one right. I think I might EQ some of the toms for a bit more attack because the toms get drowned out a bit.

Back