Thoughts on a relatively simple song?

geet73

OMG!
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=1853

I was curious if anyone could give their opinion of this song I finished up today. The guitars and bass are direct. Meh. The vocals are super-duper autotuned because it's funny.. and because they were originally recorded to a guitar track that was a bit flat.

I more looking for suggestions on the songwriting end. The bridge should have something over it vocally, I just haven't written it yet.

Thanks.

Oh. The song is called Jazz Weather.

I thought the overall sounds of the song....except the vocals....was pretty good. Good feel to the tune. Vocals were petty funny. I liked the guitars. They seem to fit this song pretty well. Nice tone for direct. I'd say keep working on it, as it should be another cool tune.
Ed

If you used that autotune more sparingly, then it would realy fit in the song! I liked it, and maybe if you could go without autotune on the chorus, then it would make it seem more like an effect and less like someone who just started using the autotune effect.

The bridge needs a soft vocal part over it.... or for this sound of song maybe a really compressed "telephone" effect that is dropped way back in the mix.

Simon

cool melodies. The vocals are a bit low in the mix...

As far as the overall sound, it's hyper-squished and slammed to the ceiling, which gives it probably more harsh midrange than you really want.

I can hear a cool song in there though.

Thanks, guys. The recording isn't great. I squished the hell out of it so the band wouldn't complain that it's way too quiet. They would find a way to complain about it. The rest of the band still needs to learn it, heh.

Thanks for listening.

The song itself is pretty cool.

You want to try glisten up the highs on those electrics.

I think this song is cool though man.

Pretty cool chord progressions for pop rock, I'd say. In the verse before 1:48, if you ended it with some REALLY powerful vocals before you hit that chorus, it would have A LOT more energy. Since you break it down with the bridge right after, bringing it up at the end of that verse then goin hard on that chorus would be great.

The autotune itself is absolutely brutal. Even horrible vocals would sound better than this. Just cut it, there's no reason to have this. I know you intended it, but cut it.

I would have to say I really enjoyed this song! Found it very original and great guitar work, and band compliments very well! Not exactly a fan of the autotune, but it works and if you like it why not?
This song is a lot better than some of the crap that gets played on the radio. Well done!

Maybe I am wierd, but I liked the vocals. I was going to ask what effect you used to get that sound.

I liked the strong intro, and the guitar tones are thick.

At about 1:13 it takes off with a more jumpin' feeling. I like the way you slow it down at about 2:08 and then pick up the beat to fast, then have a smoothe re-entry of verse at 2:43.

I really like this song. It is upbeat and catchy. :cool:

Maybe a bit more strength in the drums. They seem set back or weak, especially the kick. This song seems like one that would be carried by strong drumming, to match the guitars.

I guess you were going for that effect on the vocal. I think you should make it less obvious however so that when the listener is listening to it, they're like - theres something going on with that vocal, I dunno what it is, but its interesting etc. Either that or take it out completely. Other than that, fantastic mix :-)

Did you forget to mention your a member of Lagwagon?

lol.

Well your tune sounds really good, actually alot like Lagwagon, alot.

Very nice song, I really like it. Ditch the autotune, its funny only for 10 seconds then ruins a good song.

geet73 said:
The vocals are super-duper autotuned because it's funny.. and because they were originally recorded to a guitar track that was a bit flat.
Instead of autotuning it, could you maybe try a pitch shift without time compression? I'm not thinking of any off the top of my head, but I know there are programs that can shift pitch without altering the length.

Back