This was A LOT of fun!

lastdays

Let me know what you think on this one, kind of a new area for me, but I REALLY enjoyed doing this one, if people like it I may make some more, I guess we will see!

mix one
[MP3]http://www.crucifiedinchrist.com/mp3/lastdays.mp3[/MP3]

mix two
[MP3]http://www.crucifiedinchrist.com/mp3/lastdays2.mp3[/MP3]

mix three
[MP3]http://www.crucifiedinchrist.com/mp3/lastdays3.mp3[/MP3]
lastdays3

Last edited:
It's all a bit mid muddy, particularly the drums.
What;s the effect on your vocal intro - it makes it indistinct.
If the refrain "he's coming - the last days are here" suggest apocalypse to me & a different feel.
Your harmonies are fine but the effects cloud them.
Good vocals - clean them up & do a version with just a metronome & vox!

I love the message and the delivery of the vocals. I thought the vocals and the music could use more blending. It's more like it is a sample with vocals put over top. Sorry if I'm way out of line here. That is just what it sounded like to me. It really is a great tune though. Have a good one.

lol, the "effect" on the vocal intro is I had the wrong input assigned to the track and ended up recording that part with the sdc off in the corner while I was across the room! :D I retracked it of course, but I liked the contrast between the two tracks, so I kept it. I am curious, rayc are you listening on a system with a sub? It may be that I need to roll off the bass @ 40 or 50 hz... I had that problem once before because my good ole' KRK rp5's lie to me about the bass ;)

The karaoke effect eh? I am certainly not above that ;) the basic groove the song starts with came straight off my yamaha keyboard, so part of it is like a sample, wouldnt hurt to blend them a bit as you say :)

And thank you, the vocal part is most comfortable for me, I did not consider doing the whole song without instruments though....

@ rayc, Jesus' return means different things for different people imho, to me it is a wonderful happy thing :D

That is a good suggestion. It sounds like I have plenty of EQing to do, I will catch up with that and post a remix.

Nice, I enjoyed listening to that, cheers.

I think the first couple of times you come in with 'soon none of this will matter' etc it pops out of the mix just a tad bit too much. The only reason I say that is because the song has a cool atmosphere to it and as soon as those vocals came at me I wasn't immersed in the song anymore.

Regardless of my opinion I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff :P

Agree with the guys, the vocals, especially those without effects could blend more with the rest. Otherwise I quite like the ambience of the tune, although I feel that it does sound a bit "foggy". DI hear Autotune, here and there? Your voice is very good, you don't need that.....;)

Nice pad, sequence is a little preset sounding at first but sounds good...I get what folks say about the vocals..the dry ones are very up front and the autotuned ones are detached from the synths...almost like three tracks playing simultaneously but not mixed if that makes sense

I find with pads scoop out the middle and really whack that reverb on them or you just wont get anything to sit in there as pads are by nature a filler..theyll take up all the space if you're not careful

I think you could make something of this though with a little tweaking, and to make the sequence less of a preset sounding stick something like a flanger effect on it and automate the wet/dry over the 8bar period, will get it sounding less stagnant

actually you know what it reminds me off...its like the parts I keep trying to add to the end tracks after they finished, like a part II...you know if you had a traditional guitar song and you brought all this in for the last third or so of the song just to change things up..it has a similar vibe as your other stuff

nice one :)

second mix

I thank you all for your kind comments.

This is my first remix attempt for this tune, listen at your own risk!
lastdays2
[MP3]http://www.crucifiedinchrist.com/mp3/lastdays2.mp3[/MP3]

scooped out some mids, rolled off some bass, tried to blend a bit better but I dont think its "there" yet.

joeym, I thank you sir, yes I do use some autotune as I have some sort of irrational love for it ;) doesnt have to make sense I guess... I can certainly back off on it though, usually makes for a better mix without it or at least with AT cut back.

...you know if you had a traditional guitar song and you brought all this in for the last third or so of the song just to change things up..it has a similar vibe as your other stuff...

Ya know, thats a good idea... I could write a song with the same theme that has this as the tag... its just too bad I would get dug into for having such a long song if i did that :P lol!

I thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I can feel a part three to this story...

Mollusk, your ears are your ears, what sounds good to you has value regardless of how long you have been doing this! :D

kcearl, I will get to work on automatin' me up some flangy stuff ;)

The Saga continues!

mix three
[MP3]http://www.crucifiedinchrist.com/mp3/lastdays3.mp3[/MP3]
lastdays3

Mix two was too much like mix one to mean anything...

Soooooo....

Beginning has been spiced up, quite a bit of effort has been applied to try to blend everything.
Autotune has had its legs chopped off! (not its head, just its legs ;) )
General attempted improvements.

So is it better or what? Hopefully progress is being made :D

Touches of Peter Gabriel meets Richie Havens.....

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. Pretty cool- but why do people feel a need to make an ellipses more than three dots?

Being Humanist/Agnostic/Atheist, the lyrics do nothing for me, but I do like the tune. Mix is a little muddy on the low end, but not horribly. Way too much synthesis, the song needs much more "real" instruments, which would give it some soul. Synthesizers are soulless- rather a cardinal sin in a song with that message, dontcha think?

Way too much synthesis, the song needs much more "real" instruments, which would give it some soul. Synthesizers are soulless- rather a cardinal sin in a song with that message, dontcha think?

:rolleyes: what a tool

sounding better Sam...the vocals still seem to be on top of it to me but it all sounds more interesting than the first version (never heard the second one), I like the sequence and turing down/off the AT is definitely an improvement....Id just tone down the main vocals volume wise and see if they sit in a bit better, and as a personal preference id like the piano up a few db too................. .. . ...

Name-calling is uncalled for, kcearl, regardless of agreement or disagreement on any particular point. I expressed my opinion in a respectful manner in this thread, and even asked the OP if he agreed.

It appears I am not the only one who is being disrespectful, lately. Perhaps we all need to go back and read the part of the TOS that addressed mutual respect?

maybe you could just report the post and go back to inane generalist comments and then Ill decide whether I tailor my own posts accordingly or not

While I have considered an acoustic guitar as a possible main instrument on this piece, I have heard some really good expressive synth driven pieces. While "synthetic" music is certainly not my #1, I would hardly consider it soulless. That being said, I may work an acoustic guitar into this at some point, still very much a work in progress.

for some reason I would love to hear some steel drums in here
hmmm, maybe ;)

Id just tone down the main vocals volume wise and see if they sit in a bit better, and as a personal preference id like the piano up a few db too
I will give it a shot, maybe introducing more instruments will sink the vocals in?? Mwahahahaha! Oh, I love this stuff :D

................. .. . ...
......Lets be nice now, please ;)

Thanks again all.
Can't we all just... get along?

I loved it - very "filmic" I get the Gabriel thing but it stands on it's own. If anything I agree the vocal is a little up front but... pinch of salt cos I've got my cans on cos it's too late for the monitors....

meh, its only like midnight there eh? lol, yes, another mix is forthcoming, Eye cn' feeeeeel it!

I can sleep now, my music has been complimented by a Korean and a Scot ;) Seriously though, if it wasnt for the help I get here I would not be able to improve my mixes. Its amazing how blind I can be to what the music REALLY sounds like, as opposed to the way it sounds in my big empty head :laughings:

Back