this used to be my life

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Man I used to write and write and write...

Seems like since I've been here my focus has changed dramiticly. Now I'm a gear slut. I've written a few things in the past few months but geez, it's just not enough. I've been through droughts like this before. And I know exactly what it is- I'm simply not playing enough, and when I do it's all about nailing some part, or finding some "idea" to improv around.

It's all about habit and emotional states. Those two being completly intertwined of course. Getting in the habit is the hades't thing. I can make excuses and blame it on my environment. Which holds some truth, I can't really open up enough here with my roomate lurking about... The REAL songwriting comes when I can open up and let the voices go....
but alas I haven't been able to do that lately...

So I need catharsis...

I need the nievete' of my youth...

(this is all for now)

-jhe

Been there man... one word...

drink, well - two - drink alot. :)

Actually, I'm in the same space. I have plenty of music, but not much to say, or even to observe and comment on right now. I used to head downtown alone and wander for a while to get things moving; Alas, here the sidewalks roll up @ 7:00pm - so I hit the bottle to dig a little deeper. Anyway, it'll come back to you.

What haven't you been writing? Lyrics or music? As far as words go, I might have some tips to get the ball rolling. But often, its just a question of giving yourself the time... Like you said: The habit part of it (which I read as meaning discipline) is a bitch!

I'm in the same boat with this new VS thingy. I've got tons of stuff to record -that's not the problem. Problem is, I'm coming to realize I enjoy creating from scratch much more than putting down the final mix. Granted, with the gear I have now, the final mix NEVER sounds like I'd want it, but hey, them's the brakes, right? Can't afford ProTools nor the London symphony orchestra at this point. All in due time... ;)

And James: Have you any material I might listen to or read? I'd be curious to know where you're coming from.

Qasper, I have a few thing on my idrive account right now. www.idrive.com
username: jamushe
Feel free to check them out, I should have more soon!

As far as what Im getting stuck on is basically lyrics. I hate that they are so much of and after thought in my process right now. I'd rather let them inform the music more. Just trying to find the balance again.

And for me, when I say habit, I mean something more unconscious, not necessarily dicipline, which I don't have much of either.

-jhe

Yeah, know what you mean. I should be writing now instead of hangin' round these threads... But... *sigh*... Oh, alright already! I'll get back to work... soon enough...

And I'll listen to your material as soon as I get to a comp with soundcard. (Got one at home). Looking forward to it!

Insomniac- Mushrooms (and my dumb a** did this twice) make my body go into toxic shock and I have a blackout and a siezure- so no mushrooms for me please. :D (it was fun until I blacked out anyway)

I used to blame it on your girlfriend too Mr Lip! :)

man these painkillers have made me silly- ever have a week where you cant move your neck and are in constant pain?- that's me right now.

-jhe

Actually James I've been having a difficult time with lyrics myself. It doesn't help that it's my weakest link. I think I psych myself out of writing. I sit there and after about 20 minutes I tell myself that I'm a hack and couldn't come up with a cool lyric to save my life and I quit.

I went through a period a while back where I wrote several songs' lyrics and I thought I was coming close to finishing my project, but now I'm stuck again. I try to take it in stride because I know that it'll come back to me at some point.

Writing, like anything else, takes practice.

I went on a 3 month drought without writing any new lyrics. I used to be able to write on the fly, make stuff up as I was writing the music. That 3 month drought almost killed me... I wondered if my heart was in it anymore.

I have since started keeping a journal. Actually, its more then that. Its my feelings, experiences, and other random stuff. Ive been keeping it at www.insomniaz.net. Since I started doing this I have found out that Ive been able to start writing again. Better in fact.

If that doesnt work, try Mushrooms. If that doesnt work, your pretty hopeless :)

3 months!
Man, lately I've been lucky to write more than 2 songs per YEAR

I used to blame it on my roommate. Then I blamed it on my girlfriend.

I don't know if everyone's like this but I'm like James in the sense that I need a certain degree of privacy to write.

Either that or a lot of booze.

I'm not exactly sure what this forum is for; but for some reason it's nice to see it's inception.

Man, I think we all tend to second-guess our lyrics because of course, we obsessed types tend to be perfectionists. I'll write something that says exactly what I want in the manner I want, then decide it sux. SO...
I record and write and record, wait 'til I'm pretty drunk, then post. After that it's too late to retract, so I have to stand by my work to save face. :)

Feeling no pain,
JIM

Qasper-the perfect sentiments describing my situation. Write,play for years get some gear, get hung up on the gear, find it all fascinating but don't ever finalize with pride the final mix
jitteringjim-keep standing.......
for what its worth...I write a lot but its usually just to tell a story......country style i guess you would say....with a metophor or whatever once in a while....i would welcome some collaboration with the music, aw hell, i would welcome someone else creating the sound. i always have words with chords and a basic feel of the song i guess but since i ain't no killer musician i feel like i fall short on the mixes. i sure am having fun though.

When I first really got into writing lyrics I neglected my guitar and spent a lot of time (especially at night) writing. Then it all dried up and I stoped writing for around two months. I got scared in a way but then regained the momentum for no particular reason one night.

The point I'm making is that it's a cyclical thing and you need to get the balance. After this happened on a few occasions I realised that I would just become in the mood for palying or writing. (at the moment I'm just beggining to write again).

I started to record properly recentley and am seeming to play and write more at the same time. I am convinced that the best songs are those that come naturally, that you get the structure and foundation on the first day and complete after a day or two. The more you try in a way the harder it becomes to get something 'fresh' and original.

Getting the main part of the lyrics down in one is crucial to me. I see writing as being in a certain state of mind, the next day it'll be different. Drinking and all the rest can be a useful remidy for this though as I discovered.

I have to be alone...period....and I have to have an emotional feeling about the words....lyrics are by far my strongest suit but most just linger on paper for years because of my feelings of inadequate musicianship....even the jokey stuff I've written or recorded has a little angst in it, or at the very least a double meaning to me...went through a long time when I thought the booze was the muse, but actually it dried up whatever had been flowing after a while...and the words became petty instead of what's trying to get through, which usually for me is a sort of sarcastic compassionate enlightenment....(being both saint and sinner has its advantages when whatever takes hold of me does its thing)...but I wish I could play my instruments better.....gibs

gibs- oh yeah- you kinda nailed it on the head for me by saying that the words "become petty" - I kinda feel the same way. Or maybe It's just me and I'm petty these days. Somtimes I feel like i'm in a self-imposed state of emotional stasis these days. Like it easier to not let things effect me. Seems like I'm always missing my ex (oh man she called today) or ignoring the girl that I'm seeing now (I'm just amazed by what she puts up with) I'm cold and cynical either way- and that's just not good.

OK - that's good James- but why can't you put that in to a song!- sheesh!

ahhh- I need catharsis (sort of oxymoronic to be seeking it though)

-jhe

When the lyrics start sounding petty or corny
I try to write something funny. I wish I were
an epileptic, oh to dance and sing, to any un
expected bell that might just happen to ring.
Writing something funny can never be petty.
You have a sore neck and cant move, sound like a basis for a comedy tune to me. I know
pain isnt funny but I am sure you can use it
to your advantage.

10/4 on that score, dragonworks! The no.1 reason for my scrapping any lyric is because its corny. And the no.1 reason for my cornyness is taking myself to damn seriously. Whenever I keep it light, the heavy makes its way into it all its own. And it makes it that much more legit.

Case in point, Master Leonard (Cohen), in "Bird on a wire":

"Like a bird on a wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried, in my way
To be free"

Drunk in a midnight choir? Hey, no big words there, but the message is more than clear. Now if only I could pull off something that good... Back to the pad!

It's interesting...I'm the same way about writing cheese if I'm trying to be too serious. I can't shake myself out of it as easily, but I have written songs that are lighter as a result of trying to loosen myself up.

As with gibs, I have to be alonewhen I'm writing. My wife is a professor at the University of Wisconsin and she gets most of her summers off and I have the most difficult time writing during those summer months. I usually want to go hang out with her more than anything. Plus I just can't get into the zone I need to be in to write.

Also, I just can't function in a musical way drunk. It makes me more lazy. I'd rather sit around and party than do any serious work.

I started playing guitar in 1970. I ate, drank, breathed and so on that instrument all the way through the early eighties. Then I went back to school, third career, can't screw it up this time, etc. Guitar stayed in the case for three years, then came out for little visits. I didn't get back into it until about two years ago, and man, what a waste. (But I'm feeling much better now...)

I've never been able to write songs. Wierd, because I make my living writing. It's technical writing for a particular purpose and targeted to a particular audience.

But a couple of weeks ago something started running through my head, in my dreams, in daydreams, and wouldn't let me alone. I finally pulled out a pen and paper and out it came. About thirty verses of it. Long story involving an electric chair. I don't know what the hell it is, but I've never had to write like that. I want more of it.

Based on what posts of yours I've read, Treeline, I'd have to say your pen is a crafty one. Here's hoping the muse visits you more often...

You need to have something to write about.

Have an affair with your girlfriend's best friend and then tell your girlfriend (perhaps on Ricky Lake?). That should get the emotions rolling. ;)

Back