This Old Guitar

Rick Shepherd said:
This is a John Denver tune I recorded of myself today here at home.
Your thoughts, comments, criticism, etc. are welcome, thanks!

This Old Guitar
Great track Rick - always enjoy your stuff. The tone on everything sounds great and the balance between vocals and guitar is just right for me. Playing and singing is really nice.

I listened to a scratch track made on a 4-track right after it. The sonic quality of yours is several "miles" above it. That is one sweet signal chain you have going there. :)

BTW - What kind of guitar are you playing? It's got a great sound.....

:) :D :) :D

I like the vintage sound of this mix.
Pity that some of the singing is out of tune though.
Thats my only quam.

Good stuff.
What was your setup if you dont mind me asking?

Eck

High quality sound. Lots of personality in the delivery. Very accurate vocal pitch control most of the time, and this is a tough song that way.

I'd suggest doing a large number of vocal takes, then edit together the best performed phrases. Just my personal taste, but I'd also avoid the extra vocal ornamental stuff that John Denver does, so it doesn't sound like you're imitating him.

A lead ac gtr part would add a lot also, I think.

Ecktronic, I agree that there are a few places where I was pitchy or out of tune. I also could have been more relaxed.

Timothy, I also agree that recording that with multiple takes and choosing the best parts is a good idea. Also, ya, I do have that weakness of trying to sound too much like the artist rather than just me. Lead guitar part with that would be fantastic addition. I wish I knew how to play better so I could add more of that kind of thing.

Thanks soooo much for the honest feedback!

Rick Shepherd said:
Ecktronic, I agree that there are a few places where I was pitchy or out of tune. I also could have been more relaxed.

Timothy, I also agree that recording that with multiple takes and choosing the best parts is a good idea. Also, ya, I do have that weakness of trying to sound too much like the artist rather than just me. Lead guitar part with that would be fantastic addition. I wish I knew how to play better so I could add more of that kind of thing.

Thanks soooo much for the honest feedback!
No problemo.
Good to help out, especially when something sounds so natural.

Eck

I agree with Tim on perhaps editing from a few vocal takes, but to be truthful, I really appreciate the honesty and emotion that your one take yielded.

A soothing listen! Very nice, Rick. :)

Wou!
Nice sound, I wish I could get that guitar sound. I tried many times to do acoustic project and it sounded like shit each time.
This one will make me to try again
Keep posting!

Rick Shepherd said:
...Lead guitar part with that would be fantastic addition. I wish I knew how to play better so I could add more of that kind of thing...
If you post the song with the few spots that were out of tune redone to be really well in tune, I'd be interested in giving a shot at adding an ac gtr line to it. Let me know.

Thank-you Timothy! That would be great. It may take me a while to do it, due to my schedule, but I will definitely get back to you, thanks!

Sikter, thanks for the comment. Yes, the guitar sound I am getting seems to get alot of attention. That part of my signal chain seems to be the strongest aspect of my recordings.

Sounds real nice Rick, acoustic is great and the vox really give the impression you put a lot of emotion into them. Sounds good. Nice blending of the vox and acoustic too. Nice work :cool:

Very nice....I have no nits at all, I think you have done a wonderful job capturing the soul of the song!

Back