This might be a dumb question....

wakeupbomb

Alright, I've been doing stuff with hip hop beats for little while. Nothing that in my opinion is really postable, mostly because I don't like the way things sound yet, but that's neither here nor there.

My question is about sampling. How does it work really? You just find a record (or cd, or wav file, or whatever), and then what?

Is that where "chopping" a sample comes in? You find a part you want, and then "chop" it? The way I understand this is you put it in your sampler (which for me is the EXS24 in Logic) and cut it down to use the part you want. Is that right?

I guess the part I really don't understand is how, sometimes, you hear a guitar sample, or a cool horn sample that was taken from a song, but you don't hear anything else from that song. How does one pull a horn sample from a record that has drums and bass on it? Is it all still there, but the layering of the other components on the beat are drowning it out?

Are there any good "how to's" that can give someone the basics of sampling? I want to start using samples because I hear cool loops and stuff on all my old records and I'm like "That would be cool if I could use that....here." Know what I'm sayin?

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give me, or any direction you can point me in to get some advice.

Back