This is weird...... New PC/Sonar 5 PE......

blazingstrings

dgatwood can **** himself
Hey all,
I just upgraded my pc.
I havent realy had any huge latency issues before but now I'm scracthing my head as to why I am now.

Heres the deal:
When I open a few loops in Sonar 5 PE and then open a Softsynth (Roland Groove synth for example) for some odd reason I get a small amount of latency from key strike to sound, small but I notice it pretty well.

Now if I open a synth first it doesnt happen...........
I'm using a considerably faster machine than I was before.
I was using a 2.4ghz celeron and now and using a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+......

I thought maybe at first it was Sonar 5 so I installed my copy of Sonar 3 and got the same result.....
I also tryed Reason just to check the latency and no issue there........

If it helps here are my pc's specs:
Asus A8N5X Mobo
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
512mb 3200 DDR ram
256mb PCI-E video card
40gig system drive 7200 Rpm
120gig AUdio Drive 7200 Rpm
M-Audio AudioPhile 192

I'm running ASIO drivers but it seemed to act the same with WDM......

I'm stumped!.....

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Blaze

Ooops never mind I found out what it was which sucks.....
Plugin delay compensation causes latency...................................
Balz

-Blaze

Blazingstrings, can you tell me in detail what was causing it and how you solved it? I'm getting started with home recording and have the same problem. Here is my rig:

Guitar > FW 410 M-Audio > PC (fast laptop) > Sonar 5 PE with Guitar rig activated

When I monitor directly, I can hear the dry signal at pronto. However, when I monitor through the PC with Guitar Rig, I get latency.

The funny thing is... when I turn off Sonar and play directly in Guitar Rig, I get NO LATENCY at all.

any hints for the newbie ?

rock on

Rafael

I can definatly tell you what it was for me.
Plugin delay compensation.

There were some audio plugins running when I brought up a synth and so when playing the program was doing its delay compensation which caused latency on the synths end.

Are you running any other VST stuff than guitar rig?

A friend of mine who works for Cakewalk told me that the WDM drivers will provide better latency when monitoring through a plugin, Theres a hint!

Later

-Blaze

Back