This is stupid...but im going to ask anyways.....

Heat

I am borrowing an AT 4047 to track some acoustic guitars. I am looking for ideas on mic-placemant....and found I am a total idiot for not knowing this.....

When you say I point the mic at the 12th fret towards the sound hole or at the bridge...or wherever which way do you point it??????

What I mean is this........on the front of the mic it has the AT symbol...when i look at it straight on, this appears to be in the up position...do i want to point the mic in this "up" position????? or turn it so the "top" of the mic is pointing towards the position??

I have also seen photos of vocalists singing into an inverted mic....does this do something to the diaphram that will improve your sound?????

Thanks for any help.....

Heat

You need to point the AT symbol at the guitar (the grille should be facing the guitar.) Also, I think when you see vocalists singing into an inverted mic it's just to keep the mic stand and cord out of the way.

as far as the inverted mic goes...here is a story I have heard. Back in earlier recording days (when they had to chisel and/or chip the sound on to granite) the tube mics *might* have sounded different on a microphone that had warmed up and been on for awhile when they were right side up, versus upside down. A *right side up mic* with the grill on the top would have [might have] the capsule influenced by the rising heat from the mic body. Anyway...I put that in the gold plated connectors versus the non-gold plated connector [sounding different] catagory.

peace...

Back