this is my 'rock waltz' ; "The Travel Song"

thanks eric, again!

and yea, i know it's not a 'true' waltz...
the gigue or the tarantella would be the correct term,
but i play it as if it's a waltz,
the 3/4 is in the middle of the riff, with the riff divided into two parts.

i was going for the waltz vibe, but with a slightly more progressive time count.
most people don't know the diff, when they're dancing!

I've taken a listen to a few of the new tracks from the new album. You've got some really good tunes there, Gonzo. High Time is great. Love the vocal work on it. I thought Twilight Rain was really good as well.

BTW, I picked up an Iridium this week. I'm impressed. Now I just need to spend some time setting it up how I want.

I've taken a listen to a few of the new tracks from the new album. You've got some really good tunes there, Gonzo. High Time is great. Love the vocal work on it. I thought Twilight Rain was really good as well.

BTW, I picked up an Iridium this week. I'm impressed. Now I just need to spend some time setting it up how I want.
hi talismanRich

thanks so much for taking the time

all the tracks on this album, i find are at about the same level of performance and arrangement style,
that's on purpose, it was intended to be an 'album' experience.
right now, i'm focusing on 'singles' but at the time of this recording, it was all about imagining a listen session, in a comfy room, with comfy indulgements, listening in stereo.... kinda old school.

twilight rain, was almost a 'train of thought' kind of experience, it came out of me all at once..
based on a true childhood memory, it's one of the few i never had to work at, it was just a matter of actually practicing the parts long enough to pull em off, one of my harder pieces to play.

IRIDIUM:
i went thru MANY irs', when i first got it, including the ones that come with it...

after all is said and done,
i settled on YORK AUDIO ir's, which seem to fit the IRIDIIUM like a glove.

there are a few IR packages that actually work with all 3 models (in particular, i think the DV77 package works with the fender deluxe, vox AC30 and Marshall superlead equally well)

but what you'll find is, the YA ir packages are so well recorded, that you can basically use them as 'eq's when layering guitar parts, and i don't limit myself to just a few cabinet choices, i create custom sets in the strymon Impulse manager, and pretty much know which set i want for a recording session.

also, be aware that you can download what are called NULL (mono and stereo) IRs, that basically let you route thru the iridium as you would record direct, but it bypasses the IR cabinet effect, so you can, say, run direct into the front of your amp, to play thru your regular rig using the Iridium as a 'preamp'

or, you can route that output (using the MONO NULL ir) directly to, say, the FX return on your amp, bypassing the amps preamp and using only the power section (amp becomes a glorified power amp only) but i found that going into the front of my amp, set clean and neutral (i have a 1982 Mesa Boogie Mark 2B head, 60 watts), that this afforded me the greatest control over the EQ of the sound.

if you want more tips on IRIDIUM usage, just PM me.

i recorded an entire album using ONLY the iridium direct,
you can hear any of it here:

Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm going to be using it for some jam sessions with a few friends, real drums mic'd, but direct for guitar and bass. My old Line6 PODxt just wasn't cutting it. I think the Iridium might be exactly what I'm looking for. Even stock, it sounds worlds better.

I was even wondering if I could combine something like the cab IR, and mix in a bit of reverb to create a Fender type reverb sound on one of the IRs. It seems easy enough to try.

Next step will be to try using it on a track that I have had sitting in the DAW for about a year. I couldn't get what I wanted to start with using my amp/mic setup, and this might inspire me to get back to work on the song.

Back