This is How you Mic vocals!

That's a trick used by David Bowie and his engineer - a lot!
If memory serves me right he would have the furthest microphone gated to open only when he sang louder.

Here is how it is explained.

Tony Visconti rigged up a system of three microphones to capture the epic vocal, with one microphone nine inches from Bowie, one 20 feet away and one 50 feet away. Only the first was opened for the quieter vocals at the start of the song, with the first and second opening on the louder passages, and all three on the loudest parts, creating progressively more reverb and ambience the louder the vocals became.

Try that set up CM! ;)

Tony Visconti rigged up a system of three microphones to capture the epic vocal, with one microphone nine inches from Bowie, one 20 feet away and one 50 feet away. Only the first was opened for the quieter vocals at the start of the song, with the first and second opening on the louder passages, and all three on the loudest parts, creating progressively more reverb and ambience the louder the vocals became.

Inverse squared baby!
Ill Need more mics too, maybe I'll save up and get your k2 unless someone is smart enough to get it first.
I should try it!

Does anyone think a set-up like this would do anything for narration? I've been curious to try, but only if another mic fell in my lap.

I wouldn't think so unless you wanted a lot of room ambiance and/or room verb.
Does your narration include very loud passages?

Does anyone think a set-up like this would do anything for narration? I've been curious to try, but only if another mic fell in my lap.
Not sure if it would do anything, but noone will bite you if you tried.
The main purpose of this setup was to get those upclose vocals on the quieter sections, and the more ambient sound for the louder sections.
If that is what you are aiming for than great.

I was sort of thinking of it for dialogue in particular, to give it a more "you're in the room" feel. Some might think this borders on radio drama instead of straight long-form narration, but it could prove interesting.

I was sort of thinking of it for dialogue in particular, to give it a more "you're in the room" feel. Some might think this borders on radio drama instead of straight long-form narration, but it could prove interesting.

Within your DAW you could achieve dramatic effects.

Back