This HAS to be a question for the great Ethan Winer....

NeuzGrouper

Hey guys, and Greetings, Ethan (Bowing respectfully)

I scored some free 703 (although it may be 705, I dont know...its rigid, its fiberglass, and it has shiny metallic-ish backing on it, that much is certain.)

The pieces are different sizes, and I was wondering if there is a minimum size (length and width, not thickness, I THINK that 4" is the minimum thickness...) that these fiberglass sandwiches would have to be in order to make it worthwhile to use them as broadband bass traps, and what would be the ideal placement or them (although that is probably too vauge of a question, given the lack of info on the room...but its a concrete walled garage, approx 10 feet X 30 feet.)

Hoping there is a relatively simple answer...

Gracias, Mi Amigos!!!
Gary
NOTE: In case it matters, I edited a typo in the subj....

Last edited:
If you haven't, read www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

I used 2" x 24" x 48" in the wall-ceiling corners and to creat a reflection free zone. The panels were just wrapped like a Christmas present in $1/yd clearance fabric from Wal-Mart, using hot glue to tack the cloth to itself and to the fiberglass and are held in place with push pins.

See here.

Ethan prefers 4".

Hey guys, and Greetings, Ethan (Bowing respectfully)

I scored some free 703 (although it may be 705, I dont know...its rigid, its fiberglass, and it has shiny metallic-ish backing on it, that much is certain.)

The pieces are different sizes, and I was wondering if there is a minimum size (length and width, not thickness, I THINK that 4" is the minimum thickness...) that these fiberglass sandwiches would have to be in order to make it worthwhile to use them as broadband bass traps, and what would be the ideal placement or them (although that is probably too vauge of a question, given the lack of info on the room...but its a concrete walled garage, approx 10 feet X 30 feet.)

Hoping there is a relatively simple answer...

Gracias, Mi Amigos!!!
Gary
NOTE: In case it matters, I edited a typo in the subj....
There isn't really a minimum. I've got 2'x1', 2'x2', 4'x1' and 4'x2' panels. It's just depends on what you need it for? I'd suggest having 4'x2' panels though. For bass trapping, it's best to place them across the corners, as thick as possible. The wider they are, the deeper cavity behind, which means the better it will act at bass frequencies. I'd suggest having a thick as possible in the corners though, and preferably 2' wide(or even 4' if you can handle losing so much space and have fiberglass). Well done on your find!! :D

I was wondering if there is a minimum size (length and width, not thickness, I THINK that 4" is the minimum thickness...)
No small room will ever be perfectly flat, so the more bass traps you have, and the larger they are, the closer to flat you'll get. It's that simple. I have 43 traps plus four diffusors in my living room. Anything less than that is just not enough. :D

Seriously, the more the better. Always.

--Ethan

No small room will ever be perfectly flat, so the more bass traps you have, and the larger they are, the closer to flat you'll get. It's that simple. I have 43 traps plus four diffusors in my living room. Anything less than that is just not enough. :D

Seriously, the more the better. Always.

--Ethan
It seems like you're getting your own little cult Ethan and your name's spreading :P

Yeah any less than 43 is just not enough! :rolleyes: Even in my tiny 7'x6' room! If you can fit in then there's not enough bass trapping :D

My room is aprox 11 X 9,4 X 8,6, I have 10 traps (7 traps 4", 2 traps 5" and a 6" cloud over my head), and the frequencie and bass decay response is MUCH better than before.Is impressive how the nulls almost disapeared in the 50/300 hz (were strong before,like -30 db... altough I need more in the rear wall...).And the "big" peak (130hz) is almost flat now(and much wider, less, much less damaged than before).I was using a parametric eq... I don´t use it anymore

I have to thank a LOT to BRYAN (gik)that gave me all the good advices.
And GULFO, for the tips with the cloud.

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/openstation

My room is aprox 11 X 9,4 X 8,6, I have 10 traps (7 traps 4", 2 traps 5" and a 6" cloud over my head), and the frequencie and bass decay response is MUCH better than before.Is impressive how the nulls almost disapeared in the 50/300 hz (were strong before,like -30 db... altough I need more in the rear wall...).And the "big" peak (130hz) is almost flat now(and much wider, less, much less damaged than before).I was using a parametric eq... I don´t use it anymore

I have to thank a LOT to BRYAN (gik)that gave me all the good advices.
And GULFO, for the tips with the cloud.

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/openstation
Yeah Brian and Gullfo are great. As are Knightfly and Ron Gervais(although they aren't seen too often), Rick, Ethan, and others.

Thanks for all your advice, gentlemen.

since I am on a roll here, and since I do believe they are gonna do more demolishing where I work, thereby giving me MORE free fiberglass....

I just want to confirm: The shiny backing on it, its basically some kind of fireproofing or radiant heat shield, I think...I am going to want to leave it on the very back surface only (The wall facing surface) and peel it off on all the other layers of the aforementioned "sammich"...is that right ?

Thanks again !!

G

and oh yeah....

apl, that slideshow is great...acoustic treatment,acoustic treatment,acoustic treatment...lava lamp....acoustic treatment,acoustic treatment,acoustic treatment...

Thanks for all your advice, gentlemen.

since I am on a roll here, and since I do believe they are gonna do more demolishing where I work, thereby giving me MORE free fiberglass....

I just want to confirm: The shiny backing on it, its basically some kind of fireproofing or radiant heat shield, I think...I am going to want to leave it on the very back surface only (The wall facing surface) and peel it off on all the other layers of the aforementioned "sammich"...is that right ?

Thanks again !!

G
You want to take it off both sides. If theres a gap between the back of the fiberglass and the wall, it improves absorption at lower frequencies. If anything, you want to leave it on the front side of your bass traps(only bass traps) to reflect high frequencies.

If you want some of your absorbers to be broadband bass only, you can leave the foil (most likely FSK) on the one side facing the room. Do not leave it on for reflection panels or any others you want to absorb upper mid and high frequencies.

Bryan

Awesome.

Thanks so much to everyone.

Man, I'm grateful I was born at a time to be able to enjoy the relatively cheap relatively high end audio equipment available these days, and the incredibly easy access to so much great information on the subject of sound and its recording.

I cant imagine there were any kind of discussion groups talking about which kind of cylinder was best, and tips on hand cranking to ensure a consistent speed back in the day.

Back