This EBAY guitar looks thirsty in my mouth.

Oooooooo....1980 silverburst. sweet man.

and it looks to have a DiMarzio X2N at the bridge. i always wondered what that would sound like in a LP.

2 grand starting, less than two days left on the auction and no bids. go for it.

Don't just walk away from this guitar.... RUN!!!

It's a "Norlin Era" Les Paul, which was the period of time when Gibson was experimenting with reconfiguring their guitars and many were piles of poop. Norlin Era Gibson's were the worst in quality and have the shittiest resale value of all vintage Gibson guitars. Ibanez actually made the best Les Paul from the late 70's to early 80's, it's common knowledge. Gibson Les Paul's are great guitars, just stay away from the 1977 to 1982 range.

It's a "Norlin Era" Les Paul, which was the period of time when Gibson was experimenting with reconfiguring their guitars and many were piles of poop. Norlin Era Gibson's were the worst in quality and have the shittiest resale value of all vintage Gibson guitars. Ibanez actually made the best Les Paul from the late 70's to early 80's, it's common knowledge. Gibson Les Paul's are great guitars, just stay away from the 1977 to 1982 range.

hmmm. a friend of mine has one of these and it's a sweet sounding/playing guitar. of course these inconsistencies have been discussed here before.

I think Buck is going a bit overboard on the "Run from Norlins" sentiment. There were many fine guitars produced during this era and some things that have become highly sought after - Shaw's pickups being a prime example. A lot of the Norlin-era guitars are on the classic rock songs we all know from those days. Only the true LP snobs disparage Norlins overall nowadays.

Having said that there were more dogs and looser quality control in that era. It is more important to play these guitars before purchasing which makes eBay a bit iffy. $2000 may or may not be a good price but I'd never spend it without playing it first.

My .02.

lou

No necessarily. You're forgetting that it starting going down the toilet in the mid-70s. Anyone that has played one will tell you that 1976 was the year Gibson really hit the toilet (and subsequently the year to avoid like the plague). By the early 80s, the Norlin folks realized they were in trouble and started building the things right again. I've got an 82 Les Paul Special you'd have to pry out of my cold dead hands and I could list off a dozen anecdotal examples of friends with guitars from that era who absolutely love them. That 1980 silverburst is most likely a nice playing instrument. The later Norlins won't always be on the low side of resale.

Norlin or no $2k is an emotional value and a hefty price tag for a crap shoot

If you are looking for an instrument to play as opposed to something to hang on the wall as a potential investment (and for that Norlin yrs are always going to be problematic . . . ) you can get there for a cheaper entry fee

Sure, I was a bit dramatic in my assessment. But this is a $2K investment we're talking about here, isn't it better to err on the side of caution? Before I plunk down 2 G's for a guitar I'm gonna make damned sure that it plays like "buttah" and the tone brings me to orgasm. :D

Ibanez actually made the best Les Paul from the late 70's to early 80's, it's common knowledge.

I like the Greco's of that era. Great craftsmanship you can still get at a good price. Pretty spot on lawsuit models...

Ineresting. One of the best guitars that I ever owned/played was a '76 Reissue Explorer...

Eric

key word "Reissue" LMBO!

I would stay away from that LP. Not my favorite time for Gibson. Heck it's kind of like Gibson now. Crappy QC or nonexistant QC.

key word "Reissue" LMBO!

Just so's we all got this straight on the "reissue" issue, the guitar was built in '76, a reissue of the '58 or '59 Explorer...Not the reissue of a '76 design...

It was a pretty damn popular guitar, considering how many offered to buy it from me....And who wound up with it...

Eric

Back