This a forum or an export?

dwarf

Hey I've placed a bid on a Pearl export kit, allthough on the badges they just say "Pearl" which leads me to believe it may be a "forum" the seller has stated that it is "100% export" but just to be on the safe side I'll let you guys decide.

Looks like an old Export kit. If you look on the picture with the snare, the badge says "Export" on it. I know a guy who has an older Export like this, not sure how old, but it was before they got ISS mounts for the toms, like they have today.

RideTheCrash said:
Looks like an old Export kit. If you look on the picture with the snare, the badge says "Export" on it. I know a guy who has an older Export like this, not sure how old, but it was before they got ISS mounts for the toms, like they have today.

I'd peg that at around 1987-1990ish Export. Maybe a bit newer.

A little off-topic but I really love the sound of that particular Pearl Export snare. One of my faves. Not quite as bright sounding as it's Ludwig counterpart but sounds great when recorded properly.

Russtopher said:
I'd peg that at around 1987-1990ish Export. Maybe a bit newer.

i'd say mid-90s export. i've got a 1990 export (in the same color, even!) and it's got long lugs rather than the split lugs. the split lugs didn't appear until the mid 90s--namely after hair metal and power toms disappeared and the non-power (wimpy? :D) toms made a resurgence.

fritzmusic said:
A little off-topic but I really love the sound of that particular Pearl Export snare. One of my faves. Not quite as bright sounding as it's Ludwig counterpart but sounds great when recorded properly.

really? i've NEVER been able to get a decent sound out of mine. too deep, too boomy, waaaay too ringy. i've tried just about every head and tuning on it.....muffled to hell, wide open, you name it.....and i still can't get a damn thing usable from it.

about the only usable sound i've gotten from that drum is using the snareside head as a batter and employing it as a timbale (which it did pretty well at).

you care to share your secrets for getting that drum to sound worth a damn? :D

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
i'd say mid-90s export. i've got a 1990 export (in the same color, even!) and it's got long lugs rather than the split lugs. the split lugs didn't appear until the mid 90s--namely after hair metal and power toms disappeared and the non-power (wimpy? :D) toms made a resurgence.

I had an early 80's set that I bought secondhand (not sure of the exact year) that had the split lugs, which is why I think it might be late 80's-early 90's.

Check out this 1980 Export kit's hardware and lugs

Attachments

• 80cover.jpg
    80cover.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 66
Russtopher said:
I had an early 80's set that I bought secondhand (not sure of the exact year) that had the split lugs, which is why I think it might be late 80's-early 90's.

Check out this 1980 Export kit's hardware and lugs
They used the long lugs for just a couple of years in the early 90's.

Dwarf, these appear to be 80's Export lugs on the kit in question. After the long-lug era, Pearl used lugs with rounded edges on the Exports and much squarer lugs on the Forums. The only Pearl drums I have seen with these lugs are the old Exports and World series.

Back