• Event TR-8

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • M-Audio BX8A

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Samson Rubicons

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

aberyClark

I'm thinking of going to an 8 inch woofer. The Yamahas look appealing. They will be replacing my Tapco S-5's. I have yet to hear them. Anyone using them? Treating my room is not an option right now. The mids/highs translate well...but I have to keep going back and fix low end many times (I will listen on home system and Bose auto system). My mixes sound way too bassy unless I go back and fix. Basically..I'm mixing blind when it comes to low end. I really do not want a sub. I have $700.00 to spend on a pair. Here's an example of my work Click here to Listen

right, got the rubicons today and they seem to be really good. Originally i had the older active reveals but had an issue with them having no volume dial. Those monitors sounded great, truely great. Then i got the wharfedale 8.2s and i was less than impressed. Sounded very hi-fi like and were quite fatiguing. After getting the rubicons i am finally happy. They sound nice and neutral, much better than the 8.2s. I got the ones with the 6.5" driver.

i got my pair of NS-10M's for under $700. i cant say how much, it was a #1 employee discount, (granted im 1 of 2 employees...) we sell em for around $575 when we have em.

TragikRemix said:
i got my pair of NS-10M's for under $700. i cant say how much, it was a #1 employee discount, (granted im 1 of 2 employees...) we sell em for around $575 when we have em.
I bought mine for $70 for the pair from a pawnbroker...he thought they were bookshelf speakers...LOL.

I have monitors on my "integral acquisition" list too. I'm biding my time, as I won't be buying until I have a new room to adorn them with, but I'm figuring that for the price the Yamahahahas will be the winner...Unless those JBLs start to come down in price a bit... ;)

Eric

sub...

I like the Event TR8s. I used to own them, but I replaced them with SP8s. Really to get used to monitors you need to mix on them for a while and make note of what translates well. A sub might help, but not really necessary for mixing. The low end is missing on alot of inexpensive monitors, you just have to work with it until you get nicer ones. Good luck! :D

I own the Yamaha HM80's and love them. switches on the back allow changes in the eq if desired. Mine are just on neutral and so far, the mixes translate pretty well. We always burn a disc and play it in all the cars, home stereos, computer headphones, everything we can find, and so far I'd have to say they do a great job. HOWEVER, since getting them we've only laid down acoustic guitar and vocals. No bass, percussion, elec. guit., etc. yet. Paid $599 for mine, and for that price, I think they would be tough to beat.

A pair of these puppies are the Real Deal!
Rubicon6a-large.jpg

I use the HS80. For the money I think they are really decent. Certainly better than anything else I was able to test in the price range. The difference in my mixes is significant too.
If I was to upgrade I would definitely be shooting for the Event ASP8. That is such a sweet sounding speaker. Just reduces me to a quivering puddle of drool every time I hear it.

Until then I have no complaints with my Yamahas. Great sound that translates well. Solidly built. Balanced or unbalanced inputs. Can get surprisingly loud if you need to do a "loudness test" on a mix. I say try em out.

I own the Yamaha HS80m's...I tested them extensively against Dynaudio BM5a's and Adam A7's. I originally went in to buy either the A7's or the 5a's, but after several listening tests I bought the Yamaha's.

The reason I bought the Yamahas is because for the 1000 and below price range they seemed to be the most neutral across a wide variety of musical styles. I basically threw together a CD of stuff that I had recorded and a bunch of songs that I have listened to and loved over the years and knew inside and out. The Yamaha's seemed to be the truest out of the three. That said, I've noticed that the Yamahas present more details than actually translate to my mixes, so while they capture the spirit and the tone of what you are mixing, you have to keep in mind that you may lose some of it in the translation.

The Adam A7's started to grow on me at the end of my testing, and I can really see why a lot of people rave about them. I thought the Dynaudios were really good too, because mixes tend to translate wholly. The Dynaudios seemed to thin out flanges and other effects, though, which would cause me to overcompensate, and the A7's seemed to be a bit too sterile for my taste.

I really love my Yamahas. I plan to jump to something more professional in the next couple of years, but I'm a satisfied customer right now and will definitely keep the HS80m's a second reference set. So far, I feel that they are my best pro-audio purchase.

Yamaha's

I liked the Yamaha's. Worked with the. I don't think the top end is as accurate as the DynAudio's, and I also think the mid's of the DynAudio's are tighter.
GIve them both a listen side by side.

Also Blue Sky makes great stuff.

+1 on that. I've got a MediaDesk system. Absolutely love it. Great mix translation, and when I'm just listening to CD's while hooking up or tearing down I'm forever sitting up and saying "Huh? Never heard THAT part before!"

BTW, You can get B-Stock systems direct from Blue Sky for VERY reasonable prices, with a full warranty. These are typically trade show demo systems. Think of them as having been run in for you...

http://abluesky.com/asp/catalogue/catalogue.asp?linkid=36

Back