Thinking about switching recording software.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
For years I've been using cool edit/audition for multitracking and mixing.
Now I'm getting tired of it. I had a horrible experience with the upgrade to audition 2.0, and returned it. Now I'm starting to realize that projects I worked on in 2.0 are corrupt in 1.5.. they don't work anymore. Fantastic.

Also, as I mentioned in the midi forum, I bought the bcf2000 controller which seems like its half-assed... and sucks in audition.

I'm thinking about swapping to a better supported audio software.
My needs as of now are ... at least 32 tracks.. I don't think I've ever gone over 32. Compatibility with the bcf2000.. Compression and reverb plugins... and thats about it. I would like the ability to automate the arming of tracks... When I open a new project I want to have tracks 1-4 armed to record from audio imputs 1-4 of my delta 44.

I also own the basic version of fruity loops, so I'd like that have a small amount of integration available to play with that stuff.. I don't know what I'm doing with it, but in the future, if I decide to lay drum tracks using fruity loops.. I want it to be intuitive.

It looks like the sonar home edition and cubase SE will do everything I want them to do.. but I want to run it by people that use those softwares.

I already own audition 1.5.. but after my experience with adobe, I don't plan on upgrading that in the future. Ever.

They're both the same price, and have generally the same features.. I like the look of cakewalk more, ... and there may be other options.

and thats about it. I would like the ability to automate the arming of tracks... When I open a new project I want to have tracks 1-4 armed to record from audio imputs 1-4 of my delta 44.

If you can come up with a few more bucks......why not go the full program and GET Cubase SX 3. It can do more than you will ever use in a life time. I is now owned by Yamaha so they will be keeping thing current with the recording issues needed in todays market. I have Cubase SX and use a Firdpod for my interface...........

Choctaw

oops...I guess you can disregard my AA update suggestion in your BCF2000 thread

choctaw said:
If you can come up with a few more bucks......why not go the full program and GET Cubase SX 3. It can do more than you will ever use in a life time. I is now owned by Yamaha so they will be keeping thing current with the recording issues needed in todays market. I have Cubase SX and use a Firdpod for my interface...........
Choctaw

Because I keep doing that... a few more bucks a few times a month is a lot of bucks.. I already have probably thousands more than I said I would ever invest into recording... Heh. I've read the descriptions of SX3 vs SE3... I don't see the difference.. what am I getting for the extra money?

choctaw said:
I is now owned by Yamaha so they will be keeping thing current with the recording issues needed in todays market.
Choctaw
Yeah, now that they've got some REAL money behind them Steinberg can start developing things like the ASIO driver standard and VST plugins.

Oh, wait. They already did both of those...

Another vote for Samplitude and if that's out of your price range try Magix Studio(Basically a LE version of samplitude).

i moved from cool edit to sonar to cubase. cubase is where i'm staying. it's not as pretty as sonar but it's rock solid. i don't think you would be disappointed. you can setup templates in just about any software to have everything ready to go.........tracks armed, effects setup, etc. i personally think that moving from cool edit to something like cubase or sonar is a big move considering all the features that you gain. one thing that cubase lacks is really good built in effects but with all the great free vst plugins available today, that's not a problem at all. i highly recommend cubase. for $100, i don't think you can beat cubase se.

i have also used mackie traktion (version 1 was free for a bit). it has a well thought out and easy to use layout. i never even cracked open the manual that i can remember (you will definately need the manual for cubase). it has alot of nice features and like i said, it's user friendliness is great. traktion 1 had some bugs but i hear that traktion 2 has moved past all that. traktion 2 is $150 and i would definately check out the demo.

Last edited:
Cubase has 3 options LE, SE & SX which is it you need?

demensia said:
I've read the descriptions of SX3 vs SE3... I don't see the difference.. what am I getting for the extra money?

Demensia.........I have a NEW CD of Cubase LE that came with a new firdpod interface for my computer. I alrready have Cubase SX3 and do not need it. Will sell it to you for $25 bucks. It is the low end version of cubase, but can be udated if needed later at a discount. Many use it and get the job done quite well. All you need is some type of interface to connect to the puter.

Choctaw

choctaw said:
Demensia.........I have a NEW CD of Cubase LE that came with a new firdpod interface for my computer. I alrready have Cubase SX3 and do not need it. Will sell it to you for $25 bucks. It is the low end version of cubase, but can be udated if needed later at a discount. Many use it and get the job done quite well. All you need is some type of interface to connect to the puter.

Choctaw

Thanks bro, but I went the ardour route.

I use "Mackie Traction v2.1" and I find it very easy to use and a very Good and Versitile Program.....

Inputs 1-4 will Be armed and you just have to assign the Inputs to the Track you want it to be...It is simply a Matter of Dragging Input 1 to Track 1 and Input 2 to Track 2....It supports up to 32 Audio Tracks with something like 256 Midi Tracks and works with all DX and VST Plugins.....

Check out the Demo as you should Find it very easy to use....

Cheers

You can create a template in Cubase that will have all the settings, including the armed tracks exactly as you want them. I think version 3s come with a better reverb plugin, I can't stand the ones that come with SX2. The EQ and dynamics do the job, but you might eventually want to look elsewhere.

You can ReWire Floops with Cubase.

Back