Thinking about getting a DA88...should I?

snellular5

neil young whore
Didn't really know where to post this but here it goes...

So I'm thinking of getting a Tascam DA88 although i already have 8 channels into logic. So the amount of channels is not the reason I am buying it, I really have always loved the old tape idea of having to bounce to one track to free up tracks and commiting yourself to decisions as I think I could learn tweaking things like effects etc. better when I know I have to get it right(and analog tape is too expensive although I dream to own a good tape deck one day).
Anyways I found someone selling one for 250 on a local site but I wasnt going to pay that and I asked him what condition it was. The seller replied with "as is". He now really wants to sell it and is desperate therefore taking any offer thats reasonable...what would you guys and gals every pay for one of these, especially in "as is" condition.
And wouldnt mind hearing how everyone here feels about these units.
Thanks a lot everyone
Matt

I honestly don't know if I'd take one if someone *paid* me the fifty bucks at this point.

I know a few studios that still have them and use them - But it's not something I'd actually go out and buy with what's available currently...

I have 5 of them, 3 of them work because it cost $800 for new heads and they are worth $150.

If you like the idea of bouncing and commiting, you can do that with logic, you just don'e have to.

Yes, very costly for maintenance and parts. I too thought about one of these but decided it was not cost effective should something fail.

These are not at all like older analog recorders. They're finicky, delicate, and nearly impossible to service yourself without specialized equipment.

Unless they are giving them away, I'd pass.

That's something I forgot to mention: If your machine fails, you can't get your music back without buying a new one or paying some schmuck like me that still has working machines laying around.

Vintage digital equipment is normally not worth the powder to blow it to hell.

Wicked thanks guys now I'm not gonna get it, you all saved me...time to save up for a 2 track tape machine!

Back