Thin Top End

LeeJ

When I play down the headstock end I get a lovely chunky sound - Love it!
But when I come up the neck around the 12th fret area, the sound goes very thin & I feel I have to really pluck the strings hard to get the sound to be heard.

Any Ideas?

Setup: Fender Strat Plus into a '94 Twin.

Cheers

I currently have all the mid off & all the presence off too, could this be the problem then?

LeeJ said:
I currently have all the mid off & all the presence off too, could this be the problem then?

Being that a guitar is mainly a mid range instrument, I would say having the mid range off is a very bad idea. Although it is comon amoung the younger players who don't know any better. I see it all the time.

Agreed; most young players crank the bass and kill the mids. When you actually play in a band with bass and drums, your guitar tone gets lost. I used to engineer at a club that hosted mainly high school bands, and I dealt with this all the time. The worst part is that the guitar player's girlfriend would come over every five minutes to tell me the guitar wasn't loud enough, or else the guy would be cranking his volume to be audible.

Mids are where it's at.

cheers, I used to find mids made my playing sound sharp and piercing, would I get a difference in tone?

ta

You'll get a bit of a different tone, but you should be able to find a happy medium. An outboard eq will offer you more control over your sound.

Back