Thin Male Tenor needs warm mic!

skunk

AT4060 worth the $?

Hi all, I am new to this site and would appreciate some help with choosing a mic. I think I need a tube or ribbon because I have a thin almost shrill tenor voice. I am singing rock but am classically trained. Can anyone recommend a warm mic that would not cost say more than 7 or 8 hundred? The rest of the chain will be a delta 66 card, a yamaha MG16 mixer and a TLA dual pentode Mic-pre.
Thanx a Million!

Last edited:
skunk, have you reviewed your vocal placement lately?

Normally, this is primarily too much treble (nasal and/or forward placement) vs. enough bass (chest voice). Been nailed on this lately so it's been on my mind too! :) Speaking/singing as a "lazy" 2nd tenor BTW.

Chris

lazy Tenor hehehe

Thanks 4 replies guys! I really appreciate it! I think placement is ok just really strong high mid presence in my voice - very edgy! Im looking into the at4060 and the t3 (about 300 cheaper than the 4060) is the 4060 worth the extra? Also someone suggested the Rode ntk What do you guys think?
Thanx
Tom

I have a baritone/tenor voice with a sharp edge to it, and I haven't heard anything that sounds better on my voice than a good ribbon mic.

Ask Marik, he'll tell you. It was one of his mics that I tried out. :D

Don't take my word for this, though. See if you can arrange tryouts between a few different tube and ribbon mics. Unfortunately, that's the best I can offer.

Idon't think the NTK ( I have one and it works for me) would be good on a "shrill" voice. Another mic to consider would be a Shure SM7 or EV RE 20

For many years it was common to record female vocals with a RCA 77 (like Billie Holiday) for a smoother recording, because their voices tend to be brighter than most males. Having said that though, got a soft spot for the T3
personally.

Also there was an option to return it to SP if you wanted to flatten the response pattern, although "as is" seems to work fine for me when trying it.
(confirm if this is still viable though with them)

An excellent choice for "ribbon-like" sound is the EV RE15, at around 1/12th
or so of the cost of a primo RCA 77 IMHO. Interesting that Elvis' vocal mic at Sun was a RCA 77D, and (the most used) at RCA a...RE15.
I totally expect the RE15's value to escalate as they are no longer made BTW.

Electro-Voice designed the RE15 to compete with the RCA 77 and share similar type sound, without the prospective expense(s) of repairing a ribbon.
The top end isn't quite as well defined as a RE20, and that could be a good thing for some bright toned singers!

Chris

Back