They've improved the MXL1000! (I think)

Phloodpants

I just received my MXL1000 / Fox package from 8th Street.

The MXL1000 has a different kind of windscreen than it used to! There is no more of that tight little ball around the capsule, it is now a foam windscreen that fits tight to the inside of the metal mesh. Check it out...

NEW_MXL1000.jpg

NEW_MXL1000capsule.jpg

Compare that to the picture on MXL's website...

mxl1000.gif

That little ball is what Harvey was saying screwed up it's sound! This new windscreen seems like it would not mess with the sound as much. Not that I've done a lot of recording with it, but just by speaking into it I don't hear a lot of difference when the screen is on versus off.

Also, I'm not sure the capsule is the same as the 603 as Harvey had suggested. (With all due respect, Harv. You da man.) MXL's website claims the 1000 uses a 5 micron diaphragm, and the 603 uses a 6 micron. I know the website has other errors, so that might be the case here. Also, the capsule of the 603 seems to have a bit more back venting than the 1000. It has 4 smaller vents, while the 1000 has two larger ones.

What say you?

MXL's website claims the 1000 uses a 5 micron diaphragm, and the 603 uses a 6 micron.

Hmm....both my brochures for MXL mics state the 603 has a 3-micron diaphragm....the one brochure with the 1000 in it states it's a 6-micron for that one.

Brent Casey'd know for sure methinks....

TP

Well, the capsule on the MXL1000 has a part number of MXL-C206J, which I think is safe to assume means

Condenser-20mm-6micron-revision J.

The 603 capsule doesn't have any markings that I can see.

Back