they told me my mic cant go into my computer

SuperVic

Hey everyone, i really need your help, so thanks for listening

i recently bought a mic: the Shure SM57

the mic actually came without a cable, so i need one of those first of. but i bought it so i could record with it on my computer.

i went to my local radio shack, and they told me there wasnt any kind of adapter that i could buy that would let me stick it into the back of my comp

that really pissed me off. i payed a lotta money for thsi thing, and i have no other use for it. i already heard several times that i could get it to go into my compter. afterall, one of the uses for thsi mic is for recording

im not sure, i have doubts that that guy at radio shack even knew what he was taklign about..he was some wierd old chinese man

anyway, let me know what i should know

thanks guys

You need to convert the XLR to 1/8" (3.5mm) if you want to make it go directly to your computer. I am in the exact situation as you pretty much. Instead of getting a preamp though, I just got a Samson Mixpad 9 (a micro mixer). And to get that to my computer, I need a y adapter for dual mono 1/4" to 1/8". But the bottom line is, for recording to a computer, it needs to be 1/8".

Here is a pic of what you want:

SP-XLRM3-MINI-2.jpg

ahh i see. thanks man

but radio shack should be THE place i go for that kinda stuff. where should i go now to find one of those?

maybe i can just go to a different radio shack? or do u know if i can buy one of those online? what are they called exactly if i wanna search for one up?

yeah... that's true. However, you might have an XLR to 1/4" cable, which simply requires a 1/4" to a 1/8" converter. I had this exact same situation a few years ago. My shure sm57 actually required phantom power because my sound card wasn't powerful enough to make it run. When I got the phantom power (via pre-amp) it sounded great. Still does, in fact. I love my sm57.

kdoggity, your SM57 didnt work for you till u got a what?? cuz i dont have a very good soundcard at all..hmm

but thanks alot everyone, this is a great deal of relief to me. i spent like a hundred and fifty bucks (canadian) on this thing, and when the guy told me i couldnt use it for what i wanted it to, i freaked out

kdoggity said:
yeah... that's true. However, you might have an XLR to 1/4" cable, which simply requires a 1/4" to a 1/8" converter. I had this exact same situation a few years ago. My shure sm57 actually required phantom power because my sound card wasn't powerful enough to make it run. When I got the phantom power (via pre-amp) it sounded great. Still does, in fact. I love my sm57.

kdoggity,

SM57s don't require phantom power it is a dynamic mic. Condenser mics require an actual external power source (phantom power) What you probably heard was the enormously higher quality preamp and gain associated with anything other than a computer sound card.

larry

thanks i guess..but i already have my mic, so i dont need advice on which one to buy

i got another question too guys, if u dont mind..

i asked someone else about this and they suggested that i get a '3/8'' Female adapter'

is that the same thing? or...what?

SuperVic said:
thanks i guess..but i already have my mic, so i dont need advice on which one to buy

I know, but if you want to learn more about mics and the different applications when to use different ones it is a great thread to read. Although it was more directed at kdoggity for his misunderstanding of the SM57.

larry

Gee, the radioshack guy was right.:D

The only way you're going to get that mic into your computer with any sound quality at all is thru a preamp - otherwise you might as well just use the mic that came with your computer.
Here's the cheapest preamp I know of
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6444&Category=Mixers

For $10 more you can get this
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=8174&Category=Mixers
that will be more versatile.

If you want to spend a little more you can get this
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=10658&Category=Audio_Processors
which will give you cleaner gain.

You'll need an XLR cable from the mic to the preamp/mixer, and a 1/4" plug from the preamp to whatever your soundcard line input accepts (probably 1/8" stereo, so you'll need a "Y" connecter there).

Then you hafta start thinking about a better soundcard...

gatorhaus said:
kdoggity,

SM57s don't require phantom power it is a dynamic mic. Condenser mics require an actual external power source (phantom power) What you probably heard was the enormously higher quality preamp and gain associated with anything other than a computer sound card.

larry

That's correct. The sm57 is a dynamic. However, every mic without a battery needs outside power. Most of the time a soundcard (or anything that a dynamic mic is attached to) will provide the mic with that power, but it is also possible that the source will not provide enough power to produce an audible signal; as was the case with me (and possibly the author of this thread). I understand that, technically, dynamic mics don't require phantom power, and the sm57 is no different. But I can tell you first hand that my soundcard did not provide enough power to run the mic.

Anyway, SuperVic. The converter you need is likely available at radio shack

kdoggity said:
That's correct. The sm57 is a dynamic. However, every mic without a battery needs outside power. Most of the time a soundcard (or anything that a dynamic mic is attached to) will provide the mic with that power, but it is also possible that the source will not provide enough power to produce an audible signal; as was the case with me (and possibly the author of this thread). I understand that, technically, dynamic mics don't require phantom power, and the sm57 is no different. But I can tell you first hand that my soundcard did not provide enough power to run the mic.

Anyway, SuperVic. The converter you need is likely available at radio shack

kdoggity,

That's true the preamp on the soundcard will not give you enough amplification to get a decent sound, that's what crazydoc was saying, to SuperVic. You have observed this first hand. Just so there's no confusion the dynamic mics will not use the phantom power whatsoever, you'll get the same results with it turned on or off.

I think you are confusing the terms power and amplification. Dynamic mics need amplification due to their low signal levels. They actually generate a small amount of voltage/power when it is picking up a sound source. This small voltage needs amplification which typical sound cards have too small of a signal to noise ratio to achieve any desirable results.
larry

ahh..that sucks

wish someone would have told me that when i wanted to record stuff not only would i need a preamp but a soundcard as well..

SuperVic said:
ahh..that sucks

wish someone would have told me that when i wanted to record stuff not only would i need a preamp but a soundcard as well..

SuperVic,

Go ahead and spend a few dollars and get a cable, and start from there. Record some stuff, get to know your computer, recording software, etc. what everyone is suggestion is where you'll eventually end up going, trying to achieve a better sound. I started with my Radio Shack cheapo mic, and my soundblaster card. Now I have a a 16 track digital studio, and still get crummy results:D :D . But I'm enjoying myself.:) :)

larry

It has nothing to do with phantom power. It has to do with amplifying the miniscule electrical (voltage and current) output of the mic (and matching impedances - but that's another story) to a level that the soundcard can use to turn it into a useful digital signal that your computer can mess with.

If you connect your mic thru a cable with appropriate ends on it directly to your soundcard, it's gonna sound like shit. But I suggest you do it anyway just for the learning experience, then buy a preamp and compare the sound. It will only cost you a few extra bucks, and be well worth the life lesson you'll have learned :)

Back