They look the same, but... bassists help me out!

ProJect

Okay... Check this out.

SWR Studio 220 bass amplifier and GT Studio Series Bass Preamp. They look exactly the same, but one's an amp and one's a preamp. They have the same knobs and everything. Does that mean the GT is a better preamp? Orrr does it mean it's exactly the same minus the power? Here's some visuals. Someone help me out... are these good? I am really asking about the GT. I am in the market for a nice tube bass preamp.

Attachments

• SWR.jpg
    SWR.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 371
  • GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 363
Note that the preamp is rack-mountable. It's designed to be used as a front end into a power amp, then to a cab. The SWR unit is a complete amp, just connect to cab. It's only 220w, and is more intended for studio than live. For a studio amp, the SWR is a highly respected unit. The SWR unit has a DI out, so either unit could be run straight to your recorder. The GT will require a power amp if you want to drive a cab with it. The GT I have never heard, but they build some very good mic pres. The SWR I have heard, and used a little, and it rocks! Unfortunately, I only play bass a little, so I couldn't shell out for a high end unit. I wound up with a Bass VAMP Pro and an Ampeg bass cab, which works very well for my limited needs. Either one of those units beats my poor little rig!- Good luck-Richie

i believe steve w. rabe(swr) was involved with groove tubes at some point and that was his first foray(leaving soon after to make his own amps)into the business of making amps on a large scale...the swr 400 was the industry standard for years...swr also sent a notice with their amps telling the consumer that they bore no responsibility for damage to their speakers(because this amp really was sonically 5 times what was on the market at the time)...they highly recommended their own speakers of course...

I'd recommend asking this question, after doing a site search, at Talkbass.com. The SWR was designed to be used as complete preamp/power amp solution. The GT allows you to switch power amps, if needed, or do without a power amp if the signal is going thru the soundboard. Be aware that preamp/power amp setups get real heavy real quick.

Back