There are questions shooting out my ears

lala

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Lately I have been digging around this forum for some answers to some of my questions. The good news is I found what I needed to find. The bad news is I now have more questions.
Someone please help me out. I know I can ask these in here and not have to many reasons to feel dumb.

1) What is phantom Power, condenser mics, compressors, and limiters?

2) I accidently (Nothing good ever began with those two words) ripped the speaker wires off of the circuit board thingy on the inside of this recording thing and I was wondering if I could just melt the ends of the two wires back on with a lighter or something? Is this a big bad No-NO?

3) ok this is a long confusing one- I took the two speakers off of my keyboard and attached the keyboard to the speakers that are also attached to the broken tape player that I am slowly, slowly fixing, and everything except for the broken tape player which was already broken before I messed with it works fine. I wanted to attach the two speakers to the recording thing from no. 2 because its original speaker wasn't good anymore. It sounded all distorted and stuff so should I A) attach both of the speakers to it B) attach one (which one?) or C) attach the oriiginal speaker and deal or D) chunk it because it is now worthless.

After this I pledge to lock up the screw driver and stand at least two arm lengths from any and all working equipment. lol Please help... la

1. Phantom Power: Many types of microphones require power to operate, as a general rule these types are described as condenser microphones. The power is used for internal pre-amplifiers and polarizing microphone capsules.
Condenser microphone: Also known as 'Cardioid microphone, a mic that works on the principle of variable capacitance to generate an electrical signal.
Compression: The process of reducing the amplitude range of an audio signal by reducing the peaks and bringing up the low levels. (2) The process of reducing a data file in size, often by noting patterns in the data and summarizing them. Some types of audio data compression are "lossy," meaning the quality of the audio is reduced.
Limiter: A signal processor whose output is constant when the input signal exceeds a designated level. You can make a compressor into a limiting device by setting the compression ratio to 10:1 or greater, and by setting the threshold just below the distortion point of the device following the compressor in the signal path. Limiting is most useful for preventing damage to hearing (in-ear monitors), or distortion from signal peaks or transients.

2. NO...needs re-sodering

3. Ahhh...

ohhhhhhhhhhh!!! okay........ thanks for all the explaining. I needed it and it helped. thanks bunches. So how do I re- soder it? Could I just get a piece of electrical tape and tape it on there?

Tape fixes EVERYTHING!!!!! thanx la

sodering irons are cheap and so is a little roll of soder, but you gotta know how to do it. If tape fixes it then so be it. I would'nt recommend it however.

Condenser microphone: Also known as 'Cardioid microphone...

What? Cardiod is not a synonym for condensor. Cardioid describes the response pattern of the mic. It has nothing to do with the way the mic gets signals. There are condensor mics that are cardioid mics, and there are dynamic mics that are cardioid mics too.

Condensor is another word for capacitor. The power for these mics is required to charge the plates of the capacitor.

And it's solder, folks, not "soder." A lighter will definitely not work to re-solder any connection unless you are supernaturally talented or lucky. You'll more likely destroy the board if you try.

Learn to solder

Sounds like you have an ideal project to learn with. At least you might learn soldering. I have something like test leads: a 12" piece of wire with an aligator clip on each end. (Mine came from Radio Shack, but when I went back for more, they didn't have them anymore. I got more from American Scientific Surplus.) Assuming the jaws of the clip are small enough to let you grab a single contact (and not cause a short) on the circuit board, these can be handy for you while you swap out speakers to figure out what works with what.

Once you know what you want to connect, then go out and get a soldering iron. Careful, 'cause if the soldering iron starts to melt solder on the circuit board and spread it all around, you're cooked. Also, solder has little strength. Make sure you have good contact from the wire to the surface. Also, common practice is to heat the surface enough to melt the solder. (Note my point above, about spreading solder all over.) You'll be tempted to just drop solder onto the wire, and if you do, it may even stick. But that makes a fragile connection. (Think it through--you're going to need a friend to help you or a clamp or two to hold things in place, cause you have to hold the piece, the wire, the solder, and the soldering iron.)

The things you are getting into indicate that you like to tinker. A soldering iron will get you better (and longer-lasting) repairs, but you have to expect to make a few mistakes.

OHHHH!! an "L" thats why it looked funny. I like L"s. la la!!!
OHH! BOy!!! My first soldering project. I hope I don't burn the house down!!

Back