theory/chord question

participant

A song by a familiar face in our own MP3 clinic has a progression similar to:

E (maj) --> A --> G --> F#/D -->
E (maj) --> A --> G --> B

(10 points to whoever guesses the song/bbs member)

Question is... what would be a better name for that F#/D chord?

(from the nut/open pos...)

- x - -
- - x -
- x - -
- - - -
- - - -
- x - -

PS: I think that's the right chord... don't believe he's using F#min... thanks

Chad

It's actually called a D/F#

The D is the chord. The /F# represents a bass note other than that of the root. F# is in the D scale and the Dmaj/min chords as well. So it's not like there's a note beiong added to the chord (theorectically anyway). Physically, that thumb wraparound can be a bitch on a wide neck lol.

It's the same concept as G/B

--3--
--3--
--0--
--0--
--2--
--X--

This one is most common coming down from a C or a C2. Mr BoJangles is the first song I learned that used this chord. Still a G chord, just a B on the bass note :)

erm, help any?

This is indeed just a D chord, with F# as it's root. In fact, it's noted D/F# instead of the other way around, so that's chord/root.

A chord can be named different things. There's no difference between C/A (a-c-e-g) and Am7 (also a-c-e-g), from a practical point of view. The difference would be pure theoretical, coming down to the functional meaning of the chord, which would lead to endless discussions between the freaks... :D You don't wanna go there...

participant said:
Question is... what would be a better name for that F#/D chord?

(from the nut/open pos...)

- x - -
- - x -
- x - -
- - - -
- - - -
- x - -

PS: I think that's the right chord... don't believe he's using F#min... thanks
[/B]

What you've diagrammed is an inversion of a D major chord , with the fifth as the bottom (or bass) tone.

If you're interested, try this link to an article on basic chord theory.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=3

thanks alien, moon, and Uncle!

Yeah... thought it was either F#/D or D/F#... confused a bit on the notation... I've heard it said that way, too ... like "an F# in the bass" or "a C in the bass"...

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt a Dminb5, or something...

Although.... I'm also not sure he's not just using F#min, either...

No guesses as to who it was, eh? :D

Chad

Re: Re: theory/chord question

Moonrider said:
What you've diagrammed is an inversion of a D major chord , with the fifth as the bottom (or bass) tone.

Actually, it's the third as basstone. ;)

I use that chord extensively, but noone listens to my stuff :D

i leave the high E string open alot of times, creating a Dadd9/F# ..........

SLuiCe said:
Looks like an Erland progression.

That could be, Tom... (E's written so many songs, it probably is)... but not the person I was thinking of...

More guesses? Anyone wanna whip out an acoustic and try it? (hint) (strumming, no arpeggios) (another hint) :)

Back