The Wall Of Sleep - A New Metal Tune, not NuMetal

monkeymanx

The Wall Of Sleep on soundclick

This is the latest tune we recorded. I've been working on the mixes back and forth between each song. I think this sounds pretty good at this point. Been having a lot of fun with the vocals on this project. Anyway, if you have liked the past couple tunes, let me know what you think.

There's another fairly well-known metal song called beyond the wall of sleep, isn't there? Sabbath I want to say? Or maybe Metallica?

Anyway. Sounds pretty good. Guitar and bass tone is good.

It sounds like you're going for a Judas Priesty vocal tone? They're a little muddy for that.

The solo on the fade out is an interesting choice.

Also, I think you've got the plot completely wrong. Lovecraft's story was about an illiterate hillbilly who at night would dream he was chasing some ancient foe through the stars. Some interstellar being was trapped in his body and was able to take control to rant about its stymied pursuit when he was asleep.
Then he died.

The name is really just a name. It isn't based off any story, just my own. Beyond the wall of sleep is the Lovecraft story. Sabbath had something like it, I don't remember what the actually name was though. I'm really just going for my own voice and having fun with what I can do with it. I'm not trying to imitate anybody, it just happens to remind people of various other singers.

I never knew what Lovecraft tale the game Alone in the Dark was based off of. I'm talking about the original with the mansion and what not. The Lovecraft stuff is a tough read though because of the language used. I had to look up a lot of the words because he seems to use a lot of uncommon words. Cool stories though for the time when they were written.

I rather like the vocals. It does remind me of Halford but you got your own thing goin too. I think the guitar solo could be a bit louder.

I've been working on the mixes back and forth between each song.

I do that and I am beginning to think it's a bad idea. I'm trying not to nitpick and just track and mix later. We'll see how that goes.

Good work.

Sorry, I forgot the ":D" after correcting your plot!
Some of Lovecraft's stuff is really good (Rats in the Walls for one), but yeah a lot of it has aged badly or just gets bogged down by purple prose.
Though if a book makes you reach for your dictionary while you read it, at least you're making yourself smarter, right?

Well if your reading to be entertained then it is sort of a hassle constantly reaching for the dictionary.

I probably should just worry about mixing later down the road since the tracks will always be here... unless my HDD fails of course.

Not too bad. Guitars sound considerably better than your other stuff. Whatever you're doing is on the right track.

Very good, man!
The guitars sound beautiful and the mix is well balanced. Great singer too. Steamroller stuff!

Back