the very best mics?

jnorman

hi guys - i have been through pairs of km184s, akg c480s, AT4051s, DPA 4061s, akg c391b's, neumann tlm103s, royer r-121s, rode NT5s, SP C1s, rode NTKs, and many others. i do mostly chamber music and small acoustic ensembles in a studio setting, mostly multitracking rahter than ensemble micing, since my studio doesnt exactly sound like a wonderful hall. i am currently considering a pair of DPA 4006s, or sennheiser mkh20s for a pair of omnis, and maybe some old km84s for a pair of cards. in your experience, what is the very best pair of mics out there for acoustic instruments in a studio setting?

Jnorman,

It seems that you have some nice choices (and obviously some $$$ :D)...
It really depends what kind of sound you are after, or what kind of music you record.
I tryed DPA 4006 and 4011s quite a few times for classical chamber, but ended up never using them, as they sound kinda too 'analitical' and boring for me. I would check Royer's first, as they are quite musical, and might be a very good choice for strings. Another option I'd suggest is Gefell 294, 295. These guys have a nickel diaphragms.
AT4051 might be worth looking at, as well, and these are less colored than KM84s.
Can you swing Schoeps?

You really have to try all of these first, but I am sure you know that.

i like the aea r84, royer r121, and neumann km184.

here at the house i used a blue dragonfly at times or one or two oktava mk012s.

a nice preamp helps a lot. the great river mp-2nv is an interesting flavor for legit work.

steve
www.mojopie.com

jnorman said:
hi guys - i have been through pairs of km184s, akg c480s, AT4051s, DPA 4061s, akg c391b's, neumann tlm103s, royer r-121s, rode NT5s, SP C1s, rode NTKs, and many others. i do mostly chamber music and small acoustic ensembles in a studio setting, mostly multitracking rahter than ensemble micing, since my studio doesnt exactly sound like a wonderful hall. i am currently considering a pair of DPA 4006s, or sennheiser mkh20s for a pair of omnis, and maybe some old km84s for a pair of cards. in your experience, what is the very best pair of mics out there for acoustic instruments in a studio setting?

You might consider trying the Microtech Gefell M294 or M295, for small diaphram.

sorry - i forgot to mention that i also had a pair of schoeps cmc64s. nice mics at a distance, but i found them a little boomy for close-miced applications in the studio. and i did have a pair of royers. also nice mics - very fine build quality - but in the end i tend to prefer the sound of a nice condenser. i also have a pair of at4051s wchich are great mics for the money - a fair competitor to almost any good SD card mic. a good friend just bought a pair of schoeps cmc6/mk2's (after trading in some mk2h capsules) and loves them - another friend traded his DPA 4011s for a vintage pair of tube schoeps 221's. makes you wonder...

Jnorman,

You have probably already answered your question :)
It seems that you are going in SD direction. Once again, as I and Sdelsolray have mentioned before, give a listen to Gefell M294, 295 babies.

A pair of KM84s are terrific. In my opinion can't beat them thru a John Hardy pre for great acoustic music.

You've blown through over $20K of mics and you're still not happy?

Maybe it's time to look into room treatment.

Can you find a better sounding place to record in?
That'll make more of a difference than "which mic" at your (high) recording level.

Chris

thanks for the comments, and yes, i am working on the room acoustics. it isnt like i havent liked lots of my mics, and frankly cant really complain at all about my current crop. i have enjoyed the little DPA 4061s (my first foray into omnis) so much i am going to buy a pair of the DPA 4006s. i really love the akg c480s - they are at least as smooth and nice as my schoeps cmc64s. the schoeps dont seem as useful int the studio as they do as a main distant pair in a nice venue, so i dont use them that much. i always thought the km184s were too bright for most of what i do - they are a tad harsh for instruments with lots of high end content, like flutes, picollos, tin whistles, violins, high horns - the c480s and cmc64s handle these things much better. i have never had any km84s but they get so many nice comments from engineers who have been around a long time that i dont think i could go wrong with them. what i am after is a superb pair of omnis (the DPA 4006s or maybe senn mkh20s), and two pairs of SD cards - here i am still waffling. the km84s, the c480s, the senn mkh40s, gefell m295s, dpa 4011s are all contenders, but teh 480s are the only ones i have actually owned. thats why i am asking - perhaps some of you have used some fo those and can offer some comments. thanks to all -love this forum.

and btw, i am using 8 channels of millennia media HV3 preamps. very very nice - took me a long time to get around to finding those too, but now at least i never have to worry about preamps ever again...

Just remembered...

Nika at PSW would be a good person to contact, he's very helpful.
His wife is an opera singer BTW.

Chris

c-rock - yes, schoeps are very nice pieces of kit - superb build quality. but i did not love the mk4 capsules. the mk2 capsules for omni would surely be a goode choice, but i have fallen under the influence of the DPAs, im afraid...

c-parov - i have bought several things from nika over the years, and have many long discussion with him on a variety of classical music recording topics. he is a serious dude, and maintains a top-end kit. he also does nice work. he is a real DPA fanatic, and has been trying to get me to buy some from him for at least 5 years now.

Back