The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

• Art Tube MP

Votes: 82 15.3%
  • Art Tube PAC

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Bellari MP105

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Bellari MP110

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Bellari RP503

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

Votes: 56 10.4%
  • M-Audio DMP3

Votes: 187 34.9%
  • Behringer VX2000

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

Votes: 92 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kindly take your assumptions and go away.

I don't know exactly what it is I've done to make so many "enemies" in this thread, but apparently there are a lot of belligerent people around here. I'm just asking for advice,.. If you have no more to offer then please leave me alone.

WATYF

WATYF said:
) I'm talking aboat the rude people who feel they must insult those who they don't think are asking questions "just right", or who don't know things that they think everybody should know.

WATYF

Given the plethora of responses, it's hard to know what to say that hasn't already been covered in this bloated unwieldy thread, although "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" hasn't been covered yet, i suppose.

Seems like you've gotten plenty of good advice, and you never bothered to explain why you are unable or unwilling to try a few out for yourself to do the only meaningful comparison, i.e. which pre sounds best for YOUR needs with YOUR particular set-up.

Since you think it is more useful to continue debating this ad infinitum rather than actually TRYING one or more of the units out, I think it's only fair that you allow some entertainment value to creep in by allowing some of us to amuse ourselves. You can add to the entertainment value by perhaps grading us on helpfulness index vs. rudeness index.

I think this thread, in spite of a basic subject matter that could easily be stultifyingly boring, has shown great potential for amusement. I'm probably not the only one that has subscribed to this thread for that reason alone.

So, lighten up WAYTF... you're getting plenty of good advice and the rest of us get a good laugh.
:p

:confused: :eek: I'm not debating anything... :eek: :confused: I haven't said anything for at least five posts other than, "O.K. Thanks for all the help, bye now.".... and yet somehow I'm dragging this out???? :confused: I'm trying to put the dumb thing to bed already...

And who said anything aboot unable or unwilling??? :confused: This is how I buy everything. I research it to death, and then I go get it.

WATYF

P.S. How do you subscribe to a thread?

WATYF-don't sweat it, it's only a latent disposition to obsess over gear,
AKA "gearnut" syndrome. I know because I have it too!
(just remember to hide your wallet away when it comes on)

Chris

Well... unfortunately, I have two "hobbies".. computers and music.. so when I'm done obsessing over this mic pre, I'm just gonna end up obsessing over my next mobo or HDD or something.. :p (I just got a new video card that I spent a good 6 months obsessing over) :p

Actually.. despite the "unwanted" elements of this thread, :p I've gotten a pretty good indication of what my options are. Initially I set out to answer one simple question, "who has the best clean mic pre for under $200" That one is pretty obvious. (DMP3) But now, after some of the suggestions, I'm also considering going in other directions. I'm considering getting the Joe Meek. That way I could get a compressor (which I desperately need) and a decent pre in one, and that Joe Meek "color" that I may like once I try it. And I have heard from multiple other sources aboot the warmth added by the C1, and so I'm also considering switching oat my 319 for the C-1. etc. etc. So basically.. after all this, I'm no closer to a decision than I was before it started.. :p (I'm sure most of you are happy to hear that). But hey,... at least my question was answered... :p

WATYF

WATYF-just remembered. If you're living in Canada still let me know so
we can work the shipping out-I'll make an exception for you.

Chris

LOL.. no.. I don't live in Canada.. :) I'm a pseudo-Canadian.. I just say "aboot" in honour of my fine, rich Canadian heritage... :confused: (whuh??)

:p

WATYF

P.S. Were you satisfied with the "warmth" added by the C-1. (and the overall sound) Do you think it lives up to even half of the hype? :p I keep hearing aboot it, but there's really no way for me to audition the mic because no one in my state carries it and I don't want to have to deal with shipping back and forth if I'm not satisfied.

I'm pretty unimpressed with the Oktava 319. I've only done a few test recordings, (some full length) but really... it's nothing I'd write home aboot. Fortunately, I bought it at such a low price that I can sell it on eBay for more than I paid for it.

I also got the MK012 and I'm happy with that.. it does a purdy dern good job on my acoustic.

WATYF

P.S.S. (In case I did want it) You wouldn't happen to take PayPal, woulda ya? come on... everybody takes PayPal... :p it's free... it's easy... I get my stuff sooner that way... ;)

WATYF

WATYF said:
:confused: :eek: I'm not debating anything... :eek: :confused: I haven't said anything for at least five posts other than, "O.K. Thanks for all the help, bye now.".... and yet somehow I'm dragging this out???? :confused: I'm trying to put the dumb thing to bed already...

And who said anything aboot unable or unwilling??? :confused: This is how I buy everything. I research it to death, and then I go get it.

WATYF

P.S. How do you subscribe to a thread?

a) okay, i get it now. we aren't allowed to have any fun! :(

b) still don't understand why the most useful part of "researching to death" isn't hands-on comparison testing. :confused:

c) under the last post of a thread is a set of three hypertext links. the one on the right says "subscribe to this thread". click on it. (no further research necessary! ;) )

sure man... you can have all the fun you want... I'm not gonna stop ya.. but don't say I'm dragging this oat if I'm not... :p

and I'm a computer nerd. I don't leave my house unless I absolutely have to... :p So before I drag my butt oat to the "gear" store (which I almost never do) I'm gonna know ahead of time what I'm gonna get (or be 95 percent sure what I want) :p You may not agree with that method,.. but to each his own... :cool:

WATYF

WATYF, will all due respect, due to my time constraints, payment via
money order is the way it will go on this bbs. After a certain amount
of time, it will probably be shifted to e-bay, whereupon accepting other
means of payment will be considered (should be able to get 10%+ more$).
IMHO, the C1 is superior to both the Okatava's you have-on vocals
anyway. (You may have noted that I already own the MK012 BTW)
Take a look at the post at the "for sale" forum though!

Chris

P.S. Please understand I like the MK012 cardiod too!
(a bit too prone to vocal "pop"s for my taste)

O.K... I don't quite understand your reason.. I assume that me sending you the money in two minutes (via PayPal) would be better for your time constraints than me sending an MO in two days... but.. It's really no big deal at all,.. I'd send it however you want. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. By the by,.. I didn't plan on using the MK12 for vocals. It's strictly for micing my acoustic.

And what's with all this crap aboot me trying to run up my post count and get attention and blah blah blah? Really... the only post count I gave a rats aboot was 250, so I could get my avatar.. now it means nothing. Not everybody lives for things like post counts and getting "hits" on their threads. :rolleyes:

WATYF

c7sus: Are you being sarcastic or are you just being a jackass?

I notice you're padding up your post count quite nicely in this thread as well.

Hey, I guess I am too! Sweet!

If you post to a thread, doesn't that automatically subscribe you to it?
WATYF, it's like I said at the start of this thread: 200 dollars is gonna buy you a 200 dollar mic pre. :rolleyes: At that price range, there's not a whole lot of difference. So go ahead, blow that hard earned money on one of those pieces of crap. If it were me, I'd save up!:p

Wide Awake said:
Keep using the Behringer, the pre's you mentioned aren't much of an upgrade. You already own an entry level mic pre. Buy a Studio Projects C-1 with your money and your male vocals will have the improvement that you are looking for. THAT is the best advice you will receive on the subject. (even if it doesn't immediately make sense)

You're welcome in advance :)

Well done Wide. You told WATYF that it would eventually make sense and now he finally sees the light. You are my heroe and you are well on your way to god-like status.

Do I get a commission for pimping the Studio Projects product ?

There ARE differences with products even in the "$200 and under" catagory. If anyone would like to start a NEW thread on this topic, I'd be happy to contribute my 2 cents. (as always!)

Chris

P.S. I've gotten a good usable "rock" vocal sound out of an Alesis
nanocompressor for God's sake!

Wide Awake said:
Do I get a commission for pimping the Studio Projects product ?
I'm guessing, No.
But if you have something you could share, that was done with the C-1 or C3, I'd like to hear it! (I just got a T-3)

Thanks Wide... I was specifically thinking of you when I made my comments aboot getting a C-1, but I figured you'd do a good enough job of patting yourself on the back, so I didn't bother mentioning names... :p I originally was set on getting one, but I also was interested in the 319. I saw a "must have" sale price on it one day, so I bought it... but it has fallen short of my expectations, so I'll go back to getting what I should have gotten in the first place.

I also disagree with the "there's no difference" statement. That's the same mentality that says, "all those low-budget, Chinese mics are the same" and yet obviously that's been proven wrong, and obviously there are levels of quality in every arena of "gear", no matter what the price range.

Having said that,.. I plan on taking my MK-319 back tomorrow. Good mic pre or not, I'm not satisfied at all with the sound I'm getting from it. So I'll be getting a new mic (most likely the C-1) and I'm still wishy washy on which pre to get (colored or "uncolored").

In any event... I have no idea where this thread went wrong or why so many felt it necessary to deem it "worthless" or what have you. There are plenty of people on this board who would like to know what the best pre for under $200 is, so I don't understand all the negativity. I think the question has been answered nicely. (basically there's only two choices, DMP3 or MQ3,.. clean or colored.) And so I bid you all adue. I'll be sure to post some results in the MP3 clinic, after I get the new mic and pre.

By the by... I'm a hobbyist musician, as far as my home-recording goes, and I don't think I'll ever spend 500-1000 on just a mic pre (any time in the near, and maybe distant, future) which is why I want to know the best entry-level pre. Saving up isn't the issue. The issue is, if it's just me making cheesy recordings for my own fun, I don't feel like spending that much on a pre... so yes,... it is necessary, sometimes, to know what the best budget gear is.

WATYF

(oh...!! my...!! gawd...!! I've got 412 posts!!!! I better go tell all my chat room buddies aboot my latest post count.. it's so exciting!!!)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back