The truth about soundcards

Robert D said:
Lemontree - I do recall that I was less than diplomatic in indirectly disagreeing with you the other day, though it wasn't personal. Anyway, sorry your session sucked. I've been there, Lord knows.

BTW - Someone's watching your back.....I got my negative rep point. The note was "because Lemontree's too nice a guy to give you one". So smile, have a cool one, and know you have friends.

No hard feelings, Robert. You have a few posts under your belt so you must see it like I do. New guys 6 days or less asking the "what's the best **** for under $100", the guys with 6 months or less telling them what they picked up from the guys with 6 years or less posts. I've been here for 3 years because 1) I knew nothing when I first came here 2)I learned stuff I couldn't pay for from books from guys who'd been doing it for years 3)the whole site had a great community spirit.

Now I see a demise of the old and the wise and an influx of new members churning out regurgitaited info that they picked up wrong anyway and never tried or tested for themselves to newcomers. In hind sight after todays session I see the point of your post, to guys like YOU. For now 24 channels of M-Audio convertors feed my board, I get paid with beer and pizza for my troubles which at the end of the day is free experience from the comfort of my own self built home studio. If I wanted to upgrade I'd probably skip lynx and go Appogee. Can you give me a quote on 24 D/A convertors on that scale and tell me I'd be justified to upgrade for beer and pizza?

Printing up a couple of spec sheets is a far cry from actualy testing both cards in the same inviroment and posting up samples to back up your argument/findings

Thank god we still have the genius of Harvey posting in the mic forum.

Bring back The Bear!

LemonTree said:
ok, let me climb off my high horse.... I had the worst band in the world in today who couldn't play in time. The bass player suggested playing tamborine over the whole of the three tracks might hid the timing issues. All 5 menebrs had a go of covering the tracks before asking me if I coulg get it on time for them. If I didn't do this as a hobby I'd probably have charged them more that an audigy but I didn't and to their untrained ears they went away with a high quality, badly played mediocre production.

You know, here in the US of A, we have a name for guys who work for free, and then complain about it ...

The term is "CHUMP."

chessrock said:
You know, here in the US of A, we have a name for guys who work for free, and then complain about it ...

The term is "CHUMP."

Hey chess, you're one of the guys I learned some stuff from. I'm a chump for trying to extend my recording ability by doing it for free? Remember we're posting at home recording here and not pro rec.

think he was saying you're a chump for doing it for free and then bitching about it. if it's enjoyable, cool. if it seems like a hassle to do it for free, then start charging for your services.

Robert,

> I would like to think anyone getting into recording can understand that a freaking 9.41 db variation in a frequency response curve is utterly gross. <

Maybe I wasn't clear enough? You measured wrong! For whatever ills an Audigy card may suffer, 9+ dB deviations in the response is not one of them.

--Ethan

chessrock said:

The term is "CHUMP."

the other term is honest recording engineer

we get called in to fix stuff after the sheisters have gotten all the band's money

geez....and i have a SB audigy 2 soundcard, i thought it was ok for recording on my Sonar 4 software. But i guess i was wrong.

I tried to Record with My Sound Blaster Card when I first Started thinking about Recording but there was about 7 to 9db of Backround Hum/Noise that was allways there...It sounded worse than Analogue Recording and most Sound Cards I have Tried Since had between 3 and 10db of Backround Hum/Noise accept for the Delta 44 which has No Noise that I can hear or See as a Waveform in My Recording software......

Cheers

Originally Posted by chessrock

The term is "CHUMP."

Originally Posted by Pipeline
the other term is honest recording engineer ...

An honest Recording Engineer is a professional who is compensated, monetarily, for his time and expertise.

On the other hand, those who work for free are either called artists, or they're called interns. So let's not confuse the word "Recording Engineer" with any of this. Recording Engineers, by definition, are professionals, and professionals get paid for what they do.

When was the last time a plumber or electrician came to your place, fixed something, and said: "That's okay. You can keep your money. I just fix stuff for the love of helping people and doing a service to the human race. And to stick it to all those other evil plumbers who actually charge money." ?

Last edited:
An honest Recording Engineer is a professional who is compensated, monetarily, for his time and expertise.

Yeah, in the 80's

Sure you will be compensated, maybe, doubtful unless you are a shade that you will get 3/4 of the hours you put in though

Comparing with a plumber is pretty far off. Not that plumbers are MUCH better regulated in all cases, but in many areas you dont just say " hey Im a plumber, I have the wrench that Frigidesign sold me from Plumbers Magazine" the other real plumbers could rub him out, legally or not

A plumber does a job that IS either done or IS NOT done and can charge when it is, no matter what the customer likes it or not. A plumber is not competeing against amatuers who are also intentionally running business at a LOSS.

Except for dealing with shit 24 hours a day, I cant think of many relavant parallels between plumbers and recording engineers

pipelineaudio said:
Sure you will be compensated, maybe, doubtful unless you are a shade that you will get 3/4 of the hours you put in though ...

Um ... it's pretty simple, actually, Pipeline. You hold out your hand and tell them what they owe. I can't think of a more simple concept. People do it all the time to me just about anywhere I shop. It's the craziest thing.

A plumber is not competeing against amatuers who are also intentionally running business at a LOSS.

That's because plumbers have more self-respect that won't allow them to give away free work. Including the amateurs. Come to think of it ... even migrant workers have more pride than to work for free.

Ya know, Pipeline ... just thinking out loud ... the next time you work for free, and you get hungry and make a McDonalds run ... remember this: The guy that just took your order has got a leg up on the social ladder. He actually got paid to give you your McChicken sandwich. He's livin' pretty large compared to the guy giving away free work (you, in this completely hypothetical example).

Come to think of it ... I can only think of three other instances in our society where working for free has historically been practiced: Slavery, Volunteer work, and Prisoners. And last time I checked, music isn't a charity, so next time you feel that you aren't getting just compensation for your labors, take a lesson from the cashier at McDonald's (the rightful superior, on the social ladder, to anyone currently working for free) ... hold out your hand, and say: "That'll be $ ____ ."

Not like I havent stated even on this very forum that a McDonalds worker is WAY up the chain from an engineer

its a legitamate business

recording isnt, though it sometimes can be

pipelineaudio said:
its a legitamate business

I take it you haven't read "Fastfood Nation" or watched "Supersize Me." :D

Pipeline, you act as if this sort of thing is limited only to audio. If anything, it's far more legit than most other fields. Take modeling, for instance. Sure, anyone can call themselves a model. But they all have headshots and portfolios. You look at their body of work, and if you like it, you hire them.

The same logic can apply to the photographer. If you think their photos suck, then hire someone else. What you see is what you get. Same applies to AE's. The work is out there for the world to listen to. In contrast, I don't have a freakin' clue what the hell I'm getting when I order a McChicken sandwich.

Back